Built my computer system, need a question answered!

hobbes203

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Okay so, I finally assembled my computer and I turn it on. Blank screen. I follow the guide and instructions online, I test the RAM with only 1 stick. Yay I get visual. So, what do I do now? How can I install my 3 sticks of RAM (3x2gb for total 6gb) and not lose my visual feed.

Solution
It sounds like you might need to reset the CMOS. Your problem most definitely looks like a RAM issue. What does your motherboard owners manual say about the 31 and 37 error codes?

hobbes203

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I apologize if I seem incompetent but how do I set the RAM speed/timings/voltage in the Bios. Where may I find the recommended specs?

Here is my RAM and Motherboard:
Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Triple Channel Kit

Asrock X58 Extreme Motherboard

hobbes203

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Okay there is something really funny happening, I turn it on and the screen remains blank. The feeling I have is like winning the lottery but then you can't use the money.

In the problem system, you said that if you only ran a single stick you got video right? Download and burn memtest onto a cd and boot off of that, go through atleast 5 passes on each ram stick. One of them is likely your issue. If you swap them out and hit one that wont give you any video then you have your winner.

It sounds like the kit giving the BIOS error is most likely the problem child. I guess what we don't understand is the following:

So you're NOT getting a picture even with just one RAM stick installed?

hobbes203

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Not anymore, I removed two ram sticks before and powered on, got the Asrock x58 Extreme LOGO on my screen and went to insert to boot thing. I rechecked and it went. Third try, I get no picture with one RAM stick installed. I tried each, the Post code goes to either 31 or 37 now. I have the 8 pin 12v wire above the RAM but it is shielded.

hobbes203

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Checkpoint 31 Post Code, description:
"Allocate memory for ADM module and uncompress it. Give control to ADM module for initialization. initialize language and font modules for ADM. Activate ADM module."

Checkpoint 37 Post Code, description:
"Displaying sign-on message, CPU information, setup key message, and any OEM specific information."

TRENDING THREADS