Using 'old' Molex 4 pin powered devices with OCZ Modxsteam Pro 700

exm

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hi,

I am slowly buying components for my new PC which will replace my 6 year old PC and I was wondering the following. I want to re-use my two PATA NEC 3550 DVD Writers in my new computer (even though DVD Writers are cheap there is absolutely no reason for me not to re-use these drives. The GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 motherboard I'm planning on buying has a PATA connector, but my biggest concern is actually powering the drives: they use the 'old' 4 pin "Molex" power connectors and to the best of my knowledge, all modern PSU's (including the modular OCZ Modxsteam Pro 700 that I bought) only supply the newer SATA power connectors. So in essence I would need a SATA to Molex power converter.

My questions are:
- Do these converters exist and are they reliable?
- Does anyone have any recommendation where to buy inexpensive converters?
- Can I get a modular 4 pin Molex cable that plugs directly into my PSU instead of using a converter cable?

Any other concerns?

Thanks so much!

Solution

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Solution

exm

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

Thanks; didn't know that. I checked the mfg website but I couldn't find any information supporting this. Should the PSU come with the 'Molex' power cables?
Here's the manufacture link to my PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro. I am aware that Corsair has a better reputation, but I picked this one up for $50AR@ZZF which is a steal for a decent 700W PSU.