Supplementary PSU and SLI GFX

puritania406

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hi
I'm in a little bit of a situation..
My Mushkin 800w PSU is now dead.. I cannot refund it so I'm getting a replacement. Now, I have two GeForce GTX 260's running in SLI. I found out I was trying to push moe power than I had. I thought 800 watts was enough, but apparently not. Since I can't refund and get a higher wattage, I was looking into this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104054

Could that run my two 260's well enough? That's the only supplementary PSU I've been able to really find.

Thank you.

Solution
Whoever told you that was wrong.

My power estimates (keep in mind that the 12 volt rails do all the heavy lifting):
OC'd C2D - 8 amps
GTX260 - 10 amps each
4 HD's & an optical - 5 amps @ 12 volts, 5 amps @ 5 volts
MB logic, no more than 5 amps @ 5 volts, 1 amp @ 12 volts
Mem - 12 amps @ 3.3 volts - if you have 8 GB of RAM
8 fans - 2 amps @ 12 volts

Many of these are high side estimates. Total is:
34 amps @ 12 volts, 10 amps @ 5 volts, 12 amps @ 3.3 volts.

Total wattage = 498 watts. Even if I were 20% low, :lol: that's still only 600 watts.

Assuming a working PSU, you have plenty of power available.
Is this your Mushkin ?
2ep37eu.jpg

That's plenty for a pair of 260's.

puritania406

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Yes it is. I would also assume it was enough power..
But with 4 hdds, a burner, 2 260's, a dual core, 7 fans.. it fried.
I was told that its not enough power for my system under load.

Whoever told you that was wrong.

My power estimates (keep in mind that the 12 volt rails do all the heavy lifting):
OC'd C2D - 8 amps
GTX260 - 10 amps each
4 HD's & an optical - 5 amps @ 12 volts, 5 amps @ 5 volts
MB logic, no more than 5 amps @ 5 volts, 1 amp @ 12 volts
Mem - 12 amps @ 3.3 volts - if you have 8 GB of RAM
8 fans - 2 amps @ 12 volts

Many of these are high side estimates. Total is:
34 amps @ 12 volts, 10 amps @ 5 volts, 12 amps @ 3.3 volts.

Total wattage = 498 watts. Even if I were 20% low, :lol: that's still only 600 watts.

Assuming a working PSU, you have plenty of power available.

Solution

puritania406

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Huh. Ok, well thanks for the info. So I really shouldn't need an extra psu.

So assuming my PSU had no issues when it was working, in my system, what causes a blown capacitor?

And now that I'm getting it replaced, what are the chances/causes that my mobo will fry, and my PSU will fry again?

^5 +1 what DellUser1 and jsc said.

drum roll please.......

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

FTR - I checked a few technical references. Mushkin is not known for high quality power supplies..... :bounce: