firedrake125

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Should I stay with my AGP rig witch is: an ASUS P4S800 Mobo, a P4 @ 3.4GHz, 1.5GB of PC3200 RAM, and an Sapphire HD3850 AGP Video Card.

Or,

Should I get this PCI-E setup: an MSI Mobo(not sure what model), a Core 2 Duo E4600, 2GB for PC5400 RAM,and an HIS HD2600Pro Video Card.

If I get the PCI-E parts they will be coming from a friend and they all work as ive seen it before. I would just like to know if I would loose any performance due to the 2600Pro not being as strong as the HD3850. Please don't point out any suggested changes because I have no money to spend currently, I'd just like to know if the PCI-E rig would be better or about the same.

Edit: I mostly play games like: Crysis, COD4, COD2, NFSMW, GRAW 2 at 1024x768 res and id like to have them at med to high detail with adequate performance. I'd like to know which rig would be better for that.

The AGP card is significantly stronger, the PCI-E rig will be weaker at medium to high detail levels and medium to high resolution, at low detail and low resolution the PCI-E setup will out perform it if its an older single cored P4 due to having a higher processor bottleneck point in dual threaded games.

firedrake125

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Well i play games like Crysis,COD4,COD2,NFSMW,GRAW 2 and some online games but would the Core 2 Duo outperform the old P4 at a 1024x768 res on med/high details? Reason being is I average 15~20 FPS in Crysis with high details at that res

At that resolution you are definitely running into a processor bottleneck, in which case the core 2 duo would be better. Try either reducing the physics level and particle effects in crysis and other games or increase the screen resolution. If you take a look at this chart you will see that they were all pretty much processor limited, until the CPU was OC'ed a bit, then the 3850 did quite well at all settings, granted it was on low quality/medium detail, but overclocking your processor would help you out quite a bit especially at that resolution.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/agp-radeon-overclocking,2395-4.html

firedrake125

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Yeah i saw that article a few min. ago attempting to find my answer on google :D but the thing is my CPU is already OCed its actually a 3GHz Prescott I oced to 3.4GHz. I'm just wondering if it is worth the change with the type of games I play at the details/res i run them at.