Unrecognized hard drive in enclosure connected via usb

kjbarclay

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hello,
I had an acer aspire 5532 with a toshiba hard drive in it. The computer refused to boot up. After several attempts to repair it, my husband bought a new computer. I have removed the hard drive (not making any weird noises so doesn't appear to be a physical failure) and put into a rocketfish hard drive enclosure to perhaps gain access to retrieve my files. However, in connecting it to my new computer, it just comes up as a new external usb device. In looking at device manager, it lists the device, but shows nothing on it, and doesn't give any access to it. Can anyone perhaps give another method to get the info off of this hard drive without costing an arm and a leg? BTW, I had a western digital hard drive installed in the enclosure, connected it, and it came up fine on the new computer, so I don't think it is the enclosure at all.

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
the drive is probably shot. but you could check computer management to see if the drive even shows up.

Start > Right click on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management (on the left panel) than see if the drive is in there. if not, the drive is dead.

almartin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
WWW.powerdatarecovery.com you can try this program to recover your data and it is free for home use.
Also did you try booting from your windows disc and run starup and repair to see if it will repair your boot files on the bad drive?