Xp pro installation cd will only partionated 130gb on a 500gb hard dri

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I have a windows xp pro installation cd. On the cd it says sp1a.
When installing on a 500 gb hard drive, I can install on a partition up to
470gb. That's ok.

I have another windows xp pro installation cd. On the cd it says windows xp pro
it's from 2001.
When installing on the same 500 gb hard drive, windows says, that I can
install on a partition up to 132 gb. What is the error? Why can't I install on a
470 gb partition?
Or does this particular windows installation cd only support up to 160 gb
hard drives, no matter how big a hard drive is being used?

I think I haven't recognized above before, because I have used smaller hard drives.

Thank you.

XP didn't support drives larger than 128gig until SP1 came out. Just use the XP SP1a disk to install, but use the license key from the non-sp1 disk for activation.

Your other choice is to use a tool like nlite to slipstream SP1 with your XP Pro cd basically making it the equivalent of your XP pro SP1a disk.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Thank you for the answer.

I thought it had to do with the edition of windows. But actually I thought both cd's were sp1a editions,
but apparently one of them is not.

Actually, I made a slight mistake, XP can support up to 137 gig. Other than that, the rest of my information is correct.

This article describes the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

Note Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must apply Windows XP SP1 or later. Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition already include SP1.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013