Should I swap my sandforce SSD for OCZ PCI-E Revo?

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hey all, real quick.
I bought an OCZ Vertex 2E 80GB SSD for my new P67 build and it has been chugging along for a good month or so. My local PC store (umart.com.au) is having a special on OCZ Revodrive 80GB's, each going for 200$, much less than the 300$ or so they were when I purchased my V2E for 180$. I need to make a decision before the sale is over, and I need someones help. Should I;

a/ Place all of V2E Folders into HDD (SS Spinpoint F3 1TB) & buy Revodrive (200$), replacing my V2E. Then sell V2E down the road

b/ Ignore the sale and continue with V2E

Revodrive postives:
Would look good in window (Corsair 650D case)
Reads/Write x 2

Revodrive negatives:
TRIM loss :sweat:

Is it worth the trouble? (I know this is my logic that will be the final decider, but; what would you do in this situation?) :heink:

EDIT: Or, for 40$ more (240$) I could get an OCZ Agility 3 120GB (30% more space, same read/writes)

Solution
intel502 - I just visited Umart online. The site does not list all of the OCZ RevoDrive series and models. In the USA prices for consumer OCZ RevoDrives start at $214.00 USD. That's about $205.00 AUD. Sales prices are a bit lower.

Has the new RevoDrive 3 been released for sale sale in Australia? We're still waiting for OCZ to release it in the USA. The only preliminary price information is that OCZ expected the suggested retail price for the 240 GB version to be about $699.00 USD.

The Z-Drives and several other series/models are not considered to be consumer ssd's.

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

I'm sorry :heink: ? You really expect a multi-thousand dollar, enterprise drive to be discounted to 200$? Also, I've named the drive; you just haven't read my thread thoroughly. The whole 'stick to SATA because of TRIM' is a very loose argument because the controller has on board garbage collection anyway. If I swapped drives, the only difference would be FASTER read/writes & no overwhelming negatives. Here's a go through from worst to best using todays relative drives.
V2E / FORCE > P3/C400 > Agility 3 / FORCE 3 > REVO > V3 > V3 IOPS > REVO X2 > Z-DRIVE R3

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Stick with the v2e unless money is no object and looking good in the window is important.

Sandforce 1200 series are awesome. Sandforce 2000 series are a little more awesome. Revo raided sandforce 1200 is awesomeish somewhere in between (as you say). Awesome is enough for me. Not likely you will sell the v2e for much. And, if you're like me, you are having difficulty finding places to pile oldish hardware that's not old enough to toss. Want a couple kingston drives for your desk?

intel502 - I just visited Umart online. The site does not list all of the OCZ RevoDrive series and models. In the USA prices for consumer OCZ RevoDrives start at $214.00 USD. That's about $205.00 AUD. Sales prices are a bit lower.

Has the new RevoDrive 3 been released for sale sale in Australia? We're still waiting for OCZ to release it in the USA. The only preliminary price information is that OCZ expected the suggested retail price for the 240 GB version to be about $699.00 USD.

The Z-Drives and several other series/models are not considered to be consumer ssd's.

Solution

intel1502

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010

It's common knowledge that Australian prices will be substantially higher than USA prices (due to tax, shipping, quantity, etc.). For example, I bought my entire build for $2100, which I could have got for around about $1600-1700 in the USA. /End-thread; final route - stick with V2E & wait for LGA2011> & DDR4 MB's as a point to use as an upgrade path to SATA6.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I would not even recommend the 80GB sata version.. much less the 80GB Revo version.. but yes it will be slightly faster. Not nearly what you would imagine though since it's just 2 x 40GB Sandforce drives in R0.

Problems lie with the half channeled IC layout of those particular models which leaves them at the bottom of the Sandforce performance ladder whether singles.. or raids. Certainly not slow by any standards.. but not worth an upgrade IMO.

I'd wait until the dust settled in the next 2 months and take advantage of some greater price reductions.