XP repair not working

leosuth

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I have a dual boot machine, originally XP, but added partition for Windows 7 (which I had immense problems getting installed - but that another story :D ). However got sorted and was able to restart into both Windows 7 and XP with no problems. Powered off for the night.

When I powered on and started XP, it got to a state where I had a mouse pointer and a desktop background (picture of a lighthouse, fyi) and nothing else. So I decided to do a repair of the XP system. Which I did. But when I start up the 'repaired' system, after having entered the product ID, and log on I get a dialog asking do I want to activate it. Well, Yes i do. So it continues to start - and I end up with mouse pointer and background image and nothing else. CTL-ALT-DEL doesn't do anything. After several attempts the only thing that changed was now I got the Windows is not activated message. :??:

I can start XP into safe mode and I get the icons and it appears to operate as normal - except still not activated. I can't use Safe mode with Networks because when I say Yes to the Do you want to activate windows dialogue, I says I can't (activate windows in safe mode) - why the hell they ask me if I can't whatever I reply, beats me :heink: (minor detail).

What I need is to get windows XP started as normal so I can activate it :fou:

You be happy to know that my Windows 7 still seems to be hanging in there :D

leosuth

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Yeah :pfff:

Not what I want to do - all those apps to reinstall/replace - but edging closer to biting the bullet :( .

The reason why I'm interested in keeping XP is that I've got this Windows 7 setup that I'm not convinced will survive and I might need a second platform to work from. Getting a new external drive to save system images on (have to wait until it turns up), then will detemine whether to just move to Windows 7 completely.

In meantime will try another repair to see if that works properly this time

leosuth

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks for your help guys

Decided to go all Windows 7 and dump the XP :)

Will keep it around for a while so's I can grab stuff from it - and if required I can still use it in safe mode