crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Well, my computer turns on for 2 seconds and then turns off, i thought it was power supply so i chnged it for a 550W..........same thing.......so could it be the motherboard?? If i leave my computer off and unplugged for about 2 days then it will turn on again no problem and temps are normal, so is it the motherboard copacitors or wat?

Solution

All right, calm down, man! :p I didn't realise that you'd tried a CMOS battery from another computer.

If you've tried everything we've said and it still doesn't work then yes, you've probably screwed over your motherboard somehow (although please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong!) Now might be a good excuse for an upgrade :p

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Is the power button on the case coming out? If not, and the FP power switch on the mobo is staying closed, you will see this sort of behavior.
One way to trouble shoot this is to (very carefully) disconnect the FP connectors for the power switch and use a screwdriver or like device to manually start the computer (be very careful not to touch any other pins when doing this).

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
And here I was thinking you just had a stuck caps lock key!

Seriously... I'd look at ALL of the capacitors on your motherboard. If they're puffed up/outward you have a problem... if any of them have leaked, well you have a problem. I just replaced a PC at work that had what I call "puffed capacitors" (Google is your friend)

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
they all look fine......OK GUYS.......it will turn on after couple days unplugged so why does it do that........probably becasue something gets completely discharged.....what is that?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
well...if it is your capacitors, its easy to check. Unplug your computer and push your power switch for about 30seconds to discharge them completely and they should be good. I am thinking that its just taking a couple of days for them to discharge, pressing the Power switch while the PSU is unplugged is a quick way of fully discharging them.

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Sorry about my last post - for some reason it won't let me edit it or delete it :s

Despite how quickly a CPU can get ridiculously hot, I don't think it'd be dangerously hot enough to turn off after 2 seconds unless your heatsink isn't working at all. I reckon it'd take a little longer than that :p Besides, that wouldn't be affected you by leaving your PC unplugged for a couple of days. No, I don't think its a heatsink problem.

Is your PC working properly again now, and you're just trying to figure out what the problem is? Or are you still having issues?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^I agree, i doubt its a heatsink, because as fast as your CPU heats up, it cools also very quickly due to lots of metal around it and the heat dissipates. It would take a couple hours not days for it to cool. I doubt its a heat problem at all.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Thats really weird
Personally i never heard of a problem like this. Well to troubleshoot better I want a full detailed specification of every part of your computer, here is what i need:
-CPU model
-cpu maker
-psu model/maker
-gpu model/maker
-cooler model/maker
-hdd model/maker
-Give me specs on the OS, which service packs it has if its windows, which version...etc
-You can get detailed specs with an application called "CPU-Z" and "SystemSpec", google them a download. Maybe the parts you have, have known problems of some sort. I am actually interested in finding out also, never heard of this problem myself before.

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
If you took your CMOS battery out and it seems to be working afterwards, it could have just been a problem with your CMOS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a messed up CMOS can screw your PC over like that, and should be fine after being reset. Usually you do that by shorting the CMOS reset switch and turning the PC on, but I suppose leaving it without power for an extended period of time would do it, too.

iwih

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hi!
I think the problem of yours is because the over heat in some part of the motherboard and/or another device.
As " brutalspoon" said, the over heat of CPU is not responsible for a such problem, also the capacitor would discharge quickly -not couple of days!-.
My friend has a little similar problem, that his computer shut down by itself without an alert, then he found an IC in his motherboard was getting over heat quickly and cause a shut down, and after about hour -until that IC cool down- the PC would turn on properly, and he had to change this IC with another healthy one.
Then, be sure that the temperature your PC in, is cool and in its operation temperature limits, and at last try to remember when and after what you have done, the PC became a CRAZY!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Bye! :hello: :hello:

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

my temps are cool! i don think its that

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Just to check, what ARE your temps? I'm curious.

Is your computer working fine now? Have you had any problems since you reset the CMOS at all?

popatim

Titan
If swapping the reset * on/off switch didnt help (i had that sme problem before) the try the following

Remove all your add in cards and memory. Remove the cpu heatsink , clean and re-thermal paste it and reinstall the heatsink & fan. Put your memory and cards back in. Go into the bios and turn the processor fan control from auto to always on/max.

See if that helps. Mine problem was resolved with the fan control, took me weeks to figure that one out. Good luck.

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

hey man could you give me your email so i talk it out with you?

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

From what we've heard, it doesn't sound like it's an issue with CPU temperatures - as mentioned before it would take more than a few seconds for the CPU to overheat with the heatsink on, even if it were a stock cooler with poorly applied thermal paste.

While there is a chance it might be a messed up PCI card or something, I would think it was pretty unlikely. Dodgy memory wouldn't stop it from turning on, it'd just bluescreen when trying to boot into Windows. The only other thing based on those would be power issues, but seeing as he changed his power supply it doesn't look like that's the cause either.

They're all valid ideas, don't get me wrong, but just telling you what we know already and letting you know that it's probably not those.

This could be it, actually. If there's no power going to the CMOS at all then the computer just won't turn on (which is what you're doing when you place a jumper on the clear CMOS pins to reset it). If the battery is just flat, it could be that there's just enough power to turn the PC on but then it switches off when the battery is completely drained again.

There's not all that much to explain, really. Check your motherboard for what looks like a watch battery, take it out and put a new one where it was. Just don't touch both sides at once or you'll start to drain it of its charge.

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
K thanks for good reply, you guys are really trying to help me but what you are sayin I did ALL THAT. I took out my CMOS battery hundred of times already and does not work, i tried a cmos battery from another computer and still same thing.

So "I" think that the problem is screwed up motherboard or a short in one of the wires.
Any ideas?