Need advice on gaming PC

PutchPT

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi to all, i'm new to the forums, so sorry if i did not respected any rule (if that happened please tell me)....

I am trying to upgrade my old PC, but i am in doubt if i should buy a new ATX tower or my old one does the job;

AND

I am not sure in certain hardware parts, because of the global price (something like 1000.00€ ~ 1400.00$), so i am asking for your opinion.

This PC is intended to PLAY "HEAVY" GAMES, ex: I am waiting for a game to be released that is called "Storm of war" (i it will be released maybe next year - 2010), but there is no system specs yet, so i am trying to get a PC that runs Flight Simulator X smooth with great graphic quality (if it runs this game, it´s probable it will run the other one).

I would also like a PC that consumes the fewer energy possible and does not make to much noise, but these are last considerations, don't concentrate your opinions on these...

POWER SUPPLY:
--- CORSAIR HX-1000W
--- or another you think its better in quality/price

CPU:
--- Intel Core I7 920 (2.66GHZ)
--- Intel Core I7 950 (3.06GHZ)

MOTHERBOARD:
--- Asus P6T
--- i trust Asus motherboards, but any other sugestion is welcome

GRAPHIC CARD:
--- ASUS GTX295 1792MB DDR3 PCI-E

MEMORY:
--- KINGSTON DDR3 HyperX 3GB 1600Mhz
--- not sure if it's worth buy HyperX memory or "normal" ones

TOWER:
Description of the main photo:
- from the top left to the right, there is space for 4 optial drives, next, space for 3 hard drives, next, space for a fan (or 3 hard drives), next, space for a fan...

- from bottom left to the right, there is space for the power supply, next, space for the motherboad and its outputs (above the motherboard, just next to the power supply, it has 2 entrance for air circulation)...

- you can view other pictures of diferent angles on the left side of the picture.

--- If it's better to buy a new one, especially because of the air circulation, shoot up a good tower (quality/price)

SOUND CARD:
--- Sound blaster Audigy 2

Thanks for your time reading this post

Last edited:

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
It might work as long as you have at least 220mm in depth/height. But to be on the safe side imho I would get a new case. Along the lines of Antec 900 or Coolmaster Haf 922 case. Plus go with the Core i7 920 CPU. it is about half the cost but can OC very easily to same clock as the 950 by just increasing the BCLK to 160 without increasing the Core voltage. :)

Also get an aftermarket CPU HSF Cooler, like the Scythe MUGEN-2, Xigmatek Dark Knight or Titan Fenrir.

PutchPT

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
about the CPU i am more interested in Core i7 920 (because of the reason Yoosty said)..

and about the memories is it worth those hyperX??
and also i forgot to tell that the hard drive as 7200RPM, should i getr a faster one???

thanks....

What country are you in ...for parts ordering sake.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
If you are in the UK then these are the sites you should check out for your parts.
Dabs
ebuyer
Scan
Overclockers UK

The Core i7 you will want to get is the 920 w/DO Stepping (SLBEJ), retail version.

You want to get the 6gn (3x2gb) kit of DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel wih Cas8 or lower.Overclockers UK and ebuyer have the best selection. My perference is Corsair Dominator Cas8, then follow by Kingston HyperX Cas8.

These are the HDD's you should look at. The WD Black Editions' of the 640gb or 1tb at either Dabs or ebuyer.

The P6T is a very good mobo, the best prices are from Overclockers UK and Scan.

Cases'
Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Black ATX Case - No PSU
Antec 900 Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU
Coolermaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Case - No PSU
CM Storm Scout Case - 120mm and 2x 140mm Fans Included

Below are some CPU Coolers' you should look at.
Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366RT 120mm heat sink KIT for Intel 1366 CPU inc 1600RPM fan
Scythe Mugen 2 CPU Cooler
Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir CPU Cooler
Cogage True Spirit CPU Cooler (Socket 1366)

CPU Cooler Bracket for CoGage True Spirt
Thermalright LGA1366 Bolt-Thru-Kit

You also need Thermal Compound
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound

Hope this helps you out. :wahoo:

PutchPT

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
thanks guys for your advice, i helped a lot...

i live in Portugal, but i have friends in UK, so there is no problem with the stores you indicated...

cheers....