IBM 600e. Good choice?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 17, 2004 7:25:25 PM

I can buy a refurb.IBM 600e Thinkpad for $475. I plan to install Slackware or
Debian on it. It only has 128MB of RAM and a 6GB disk but that's all I need
(I hope) to run Apache, MySql and PHP locally. I will use it run a web-based
application (see link below if intersted) at a booth at a convention where I
can't get a net connection (for less than a billion dollars!!)

Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog? Anyone ever have one?

I can get a T22 but they want $950 for it... and for that money I can buy a
brand new Averatec.

All I need is something lightweight, something cheap, and something that will
work. Advice wanted.

Thanks,

Al Canton
Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
***
JAYA123 - the new web-based total-office system for the
small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
a month. Everyone says "It's cool as a moose!!"
See why at:http://www.jaya123.com ('ja-eye-ah' means
'victory' in Sanskrit.)
***

More about : ibm 600e good choice

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 5:26:11 AM

For that price, If you know how to shop on ebay you can get a 600X.
The 600e was and still is one of the best ibm laptops. The only
problem that the 600's had was that the battery died in only a few
months. Most of the parts that work in the 600e work on the 600x.
You can find a lot of parts for this laptop on ebay.

"A-B C." <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> wrote in message news:<10aievtn0m92q63@news20.forteinc.com>...
> I can buy a refurb.IBM 600e Thinkpad for $475. I plan to install Slackware or
> Debian on it. It only has 128MB of RAM and a 6GB disk but that's all I need
> (I hope) to run Apache, MySql and PHP locally. I will use it run a web-based
> application (see link below if intersted) at a booth at a convention where I
> can't get a net connection (for less than a billion dollars!!)
>
> Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog? Anyone ever have one?
>
> I can get a T22 but they want $950 for it... and for that money I can buy a
> brand new Averatec.
>
> All I need is something lightweight, something cheap, and something that will
> work. Advice wanted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Canton
> Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
> ***
> JAYA123 - the new web-based total-office system for the
> small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
> a month. Everyone says "It's cool as a moose!!"
> See why at:http://www.jaya123.com ('ja-eye-ah' means
> 'victory' in Sanskrit.)
> ***
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 7:09:26 AM

I agree--the whole 600 series was the best of the best, though I think $475
is high for a 600E at this point. You can, I believe, get them for $350ish,
on eBay.

"A-B C." <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> wrote in message
> I can buy a refurb.IBM 600e Thinkpad for $475. I plan to install Slackware
or
> Debian on it. It only has 128MB of RAM and a 6GB disk but that's all I
need
> (I hope) to run Apache, MySql and PHP locally. I will use it run a
web-based
> application (see link below if intersted) at a booth at a convention where
> can't get a net connection (for less than a billion dollars!!)
>
> Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog? Anyone ever have one?
>
> I can get a T22 but they want $950 for it... and for that money I can buy
> brand new Averatec.
>
> All I need is something lightweight, something cheap, and something that
will
> work. Advice wanted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Canton
> Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
> ***
> JAYA123 - the new web-based total-office system for the
> small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
> a month. Everyone says "It's cool as a moose!!"
> See why at:http://www.jaya123.com ('ja-eye-ah' means
> 'victory' in Sanskrit.)
> ***

a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 12:56:05 PM

One of the best laptops ever made IMHO, light, flexible with storage options
and reliable.

Garf

"A-B C." <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> wrote in message
> I can buy a refurb.IBM 600e Thinkpad for $475. I plan to install Slackware
or
> Debian on it. It only has 128MB of RAM and a 6GB disk but that's all I
need
> (I hope) to run Apache, MySql and PHP locally. I will use it run a
web-based
> application (see link below if intersted) at a booth at a convention where
> can't get a net connection (for less than a billion dollars!!)
>
> Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog? Anyone ever have one?
>
> I can get a T22 but they want $950 for it... and for that money I can buy
> brand new Averatec.
>
> All I need is something lightweight, something cheap, and something that
will
> work. Advice wanted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Canton
> Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
> ***
> JAYA123 - the new web-based total-office system for the
> small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
> a month. Everyone says "It's cool as a moose!!"
> See why at:http://www.jaya123.com ('ja-eye-ah' means
> 'victory' in Sanskrit.)
> ***

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 2:53:43 PM

comcast2 wrote:

> I agree--the whole 600 series was the best of the best, though I think $475
> is high for a 600E at this point. You can, I believe, get them for $350ish,
> on eBay.

Yes, the price is a bit higher but the folks I'm getting this from

www.thelaptopconnection.com

do a full re-furb on the unit... and that has to be worth a few bucks I
figure.

I don't feel comfortable buying a computer on eBay. You just never know what
you will get until you get it... and sometimes you get "gotten." :-)

Thanks,

Al

> "A-B C." <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> wrote in message
>> I can buy a refurb.IBM 600e Thinkpad for $475. I plan to install Slackware
> or
>> Debian on it. It only has 128MB of RAM and a 6GB disk but that's all I
> need
>> (I hope) to run Apache, MySql and PHP locally. I will use it run a
> web-based
>> application (see link below if intersted) at a booth at a convention where
>> can't get a net connection (for less than a billion dollars!!)
>>
>> Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog? Anyone ever have one?
>>
>> I can get a T22 but they want $950 for it... and for that money I can buy
>> brand new Averatec.
>>
>> All I need is something lightweight, something cheap, and something that
> will
>> work. Advice wanted.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Al Canton
>> Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
>> ***
>> JAYA123 - the new web-based total-office system for the
>> small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
>> a month. Everyone says "It's cool as a moose!!"
>> See why at:http://www.jaya123.com ('ja-eye-ah' means
>> 'victory' in Sanskrit.)
>> ***

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 8:09:06 PM

A-B C. <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> wrote:

> Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog?

Widely acclaimed as one of the best laptops ever made by any manufacturer!

> Anyone ever have one?

Literally _millions_ of satisfied customers! IBM's best selling Thinkpad to
date.

But, the price you were quoted is WAY high! You can get a PIII 500MHz 600X
model for that on eBay.

Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
May 18, 2004 10:30:33 PM

Al,

I another happy camper with a 600E, 366MHz I picked up on eBay,, $300 delivered, came with two(2)
small batteries and one(1) of the bay size batteries, DVD, Diskette, 160mb mem, 10GH drive,10/100
x-jack card, Two(2) chargers, and XP pro installed.. I think it is a complete re-hab, no serial on a
spanking new case, new display,, I picked up two(2) 256mb SDRAM's, because 160 was just not enough.
I may add a CD/RW..

I have a 2.4GHz desktop,, and you can tell the speed difference,, but it's not much.. I have run the
latest SiSoftware Sandra a couple time to stress the cup and mem, no problems so far.. I have just
about mirrored the desktop, setup the DSL link, and I'm good to go...

Good Luck
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
May 18, 2004 10:54:14 PM

A-B C. wrote:

> I can buy a refurb.IBM 600e Thinkpad for $475. I plan to install Slackware or
> Debian on it. It only has 128MB of RAM and a 6GB disk but that's all I need
> (I hope) to run Apache, MySql and PHP locally. I will use it run a web-based
> application (see link below if intersted) at a booth at a convention where I
> can't get a net connection (for less than a billion dollars!!)
>
> Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog? Anyone ever have one?

I'll go along with the others in this thread. The 600 series (esp. the E
model) is often regarded (arguably, perhaps) as the best laptop ever
made. Period.

I also agree with the others that the price is on the high side for the
options you're getting.

For the record, I bought one on eBay last Feb. for a smidgen under $300
USD (S/H was around $12). It too was "refurbished". I think I lucked out
BIG time, 'cause for that $312 I got a 600E with an impeccable display
(bright, *NO* dead/hot pixels), 228 MB ram, 10G HDD (IBM OE, no bad
sectors), 24x CD-ROM, adapter, and a battery with more than 1.5 hours
worth of juice left in it. I also got the floppy WITH the external
enclosure to boot. Cosmetically, the top lid has minor signs of wear,
but the keyboard, trackpoint, and port covers are all in mint condition.

Only thing missing was an OS and a NIC, which I bought new for $22 CAD
(a Xircom "realport"). Total for this gem of a laptop: ~$330 USD.

Kinda makes that $475 seem a tad high, don't it?

If I were you I'd shop around a little more. But stick with the 600E's.
Another big advantage to buying one (as others here have pointed out
many times, I'm sure) is the availability of cheap spare parts and
accessories on eBay.

> I can get a T22 but they want $950 for it... and for that money I can buy a
> brand new Averatec.

Or two 600E's. :-)

> All I need is something lightweight, something cheap, and something that will
> work. Advice wanted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Canton
> Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
> ***
> JAYA123 - the new web-based total-office system for the
> small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
> a month. Everyone says "It's cool as a moose!!"
> See why at:http://www.jaya123.com ('ja-eye-ah' means
> 'victory' in Sanskrit.)
> ***

May 18, 2004 11:04:22 PM

A couple of other things:

1. The TP I bought has a P2-366, in case you were eondering (I forgot to
mention it).

2. Regarding the build quality of the 600 series... They just don't
build them like that anymore... Not even IBM! The finish, the SOLIDITY,
the overall feel are all uncanny. Today's laptops look and feel so
"Fisher-Pricey" by comparison.

The following review from epinions.com sums it up quite nicely:
http://www.epinions.com/content_109196447364

It's *LARGELY* on the basis of this review that I made my decision to go
with a TP-600e.

~EM
em7£4££5@£Ya£h££o3o.£c££om
(remove the £'s)

1 wrote:

> A-B C. wrote:
>
>> I can buy a refurb.IBM 600e Thinkpad for $475. I plan to install
>> Slackware or
>> Debian on it. It only has 128MB of RAM and a 6GB disk but that's all I
>> need
>> (I hope) to run Apache, MySql and PHP locally. I will use it run a
>> web-based
>> application (see link below if intersted) at a booth at a convention
>> where I
>> can't get a net connection (for less than a billion dollars!!)
>> Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog? Anyone ever have one?
>

> I'll go along with the others in this thread. The 600 series (esp. the E
> model) is often regarded (arguably, perhaps) as the best laptop ever
> made. Period.
>
> I also agree with the others that the price is on the high side for the
> options you're getting.
>
> For the record, I bought one on eBay last Feb. for a smidgen under $300
> USD (S/H was around $12). It too was "refurbished". I think I lucked out
> BIG time, 'cause for that $312 I got a 600E with an impeccable display
> (bright, *NO* dead/hot pixels), 228 MB ram, 10G HDD (IBM OE, no bad
> sectors), 24x CD-ROM, adapter, and a battery with more than 1.5 hours
> worth of juice left in it. I also got the floppy WITH the external
> enclosure to boot. Cosmetically, the top lid has minor signs of wear,
> but the keyboard, trackpoint, and port covers are all in mint condition.
>
> Only thing missing was an OS and a NIC, which I bought new for $22 CAD
> (a Xircom "realport"). Total for this gem of a laptop: ~$330 USD.
>
> Kinda makes that $475 seem a tad high, don't it?
>
> If I were you I'd shop around a little more. But stick with the 600E's.
> Another big advantage to buying one (as others here have pointed out
> many times, I'm sure) is the availability of cheap spare parts and
> accessories on eBay.
>

>> I can get a T22 but they want $950 for it... and for that money I can
>> buy a
>> brand new Averatec.
>

> Or two 600E's. :-)
>

>> All I need is something lightweight, something cheap, and something
>> that will
>> work. Advice wanted.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Al Canton
>> Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
>> ***
>> JAYA123 - the new web-based total-office system for the
>> small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
>> a month. Everyone says "It's cool as a moose!!"
>> See why at:http://www.jaya123.com ('ja-eye-ah' means
>> 'victory' in Sanskrit.) ***

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2004 6:38:33 AM

$475 US is high.

It is a classic PC you will love it.

"A-B C." <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> wrote in message
> I can buy a refurb.IBM 600e Thinkpad for $475. I plan to install Slackware
or
> Debian on it. It only has 128MB of RAM and a 6GB disk but that's all I
need
> (I hope) to run Apache, MySql and PHP locally. I will use it run a
web-based
> application (see link below if intersted) at a booth at a convention where
> can't get a net connection (for less than a billion dollars!!)
>
> Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog? Anyone ever have one?
>
> I can get a T22 but they want $950 for it... and for that money I can buy
> brand new Averatec.
>
> All I need is something lightweight, something cheap, and something that
will
> work. Advice wanted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Canton
> Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
> ***
> JAYA123 - the new web-based total-office system for the
> small biz. Order entry, billing, bookkeeping, etc. for $14.95
> a month. Everyone says "It's cool as a moose!!"
> See why at:http://www.jaya123.com ('ja-eye-ah' means
> 'victory' in Sanskrit.)
> ***

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2004 7:58:55 AM

"A-B C." wrote:

> I can buy a refurb.IBM 600e Thinkpad for $475. I plan to install Slackware or
> Debian on it. It only has 128MB of RAM and a 6GB disk but that's all I need
> (I hope) to run Apache, MySql and PHP locally. I will use it run a web-based
> application (see link below if intersted) at a booth at a convention where I
> can't get a net connection (for less than a billion dollars!!)

$475 is a very high price for an E.. For that it better include a NEW battery,
DVD drive and 256megs of memory...

> Was the 600e a "good" IBM laptop or was it a dog? Anyone ever have one?

One of the best, maybe - just - eclipsed by the 600X, but just barely..

> I can get a T22 but they want $950 for it... and for that money I can buy a
> brand new Averatec.

You can get a nice T20 or 21 for $500-600 on eBay. 700-750mhz cpu, 14" screen,
built in network card..

> All I need is something lightweight, something cheap, and something that will
> work. Advice wanted.

Thats any 600 model... 4 1/2 lbs, 1" thin and tough.

> Thanks,
>
> Al Canton

TJ(owns three -E's and 2 -X's, sells refurbed ones to my pilot buddies)
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2004 4:49:02 PM

John wrote:

> Checkout this T-23:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31554&item=3483945355

> Ken is very reliable. I have purchased several item from him -- including
> the
> T-23 that I typing this on. It has been my desktop replacement for almost a
> year now.
>
> Regards ... John

I was afraid of buying from eBay because I didn't know if I'd get ripped or
not (never bought anything there before.) I wouldn't mind buying a golf
club... but something as intricate as a computer... well you want to know
whom you're getting it from. So thanks for this reference.

I paid top dollar ($475) for the 600e because I got it at a local refurb shop
with a good rep (www.thelaptopconnection.com) who only gets them from large
companies when boxes come off of lease. They take them apart, clean and test,
and put them on the shelf with a guarantee (for 30 days or so.) You pay for
that... but peace of mind is never cheap.

Al
!