In System Configuration, Running vs Stopped

August 2, 2004 9:37:48 AM

In System Configuration on the Services tab, all of them
have a check mark at the left, but at the right some of
them say running and some say stopped. Some of them that
say stopped looks like they should say running. How do I
change them to running or stopped? Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 6:52:34 PM

Do *NOT* use msconfig to disable services!!!!

[[The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable
services that may be vital to boot your system. ]]
Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?
http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm

If you want to change services settings, do it here:

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK

Windows XP Home and Professional Service Configurations

Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:905e01c4788d$8472e2a0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Eve <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> In System Configuration on the Services tab, all of them
> have a check mark at the left, but at the right some of
> them say running and some say stopped. Some of them that
> say stopped looks like they should say running. How do I
> change them to running or stopped? Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:20:00 PM

Hi Eve,

First of all, please don't alter the Services configuration if you have no idea about that, as incorrect configuration may harm the system performance. Secondly, use Services.msc applet to alter the Services configuration. You would be interested in this page, which explains about each Service and it's default state:

Black Viper's Web Site:
http://www.blackviper.com/

Microsoft Windows XP - Services overview:

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

!