sm007thie

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I'm in the process of upgrading my rig. I had:

MSI P6N Platinum mobo
E4400 processor
GeForce 8500 video card
a couple sticks of 1Gb PC5300
and a couple hard drives, DVD-RW and the normal USB items.

I'm slowing replacing stuff. I started by replacing my video card with an N250GTS. All went well.

Next, swapped my processor with a Q8200. Everything seemed fine, but the comp wouldn't boot. Finally figured out that the HDDs weren't spinning. Then realized that none of my peripheral 12v had any power. When I put my E4400 back in, all is good. When i put the Q8200 in, 12v peripheral power is lost.

I have a nMEDIAPC MP-500 500W ATX12V Power Supply. Where do I go for troubleshooting from here. Everything I read saus my PS should be able to handle the load. Could the CPU be bad?

You might need to update the BIOs for the new CPU to work, check to see what your mobo rev and bios you have and see if there is a new bios to support that CPU.

Also when updating hardware you should also do a clean install of the OS

This is for your mobo

CPU

Supports Socket 775 for Intel Core2 Quad, Core2 Extreme, Core2 Duo, Pentium 4 (Prescott, P4EE), Pentium D, Pentium XE/Celeron D processors in LGA 775 package
Supports FSB 533/800/1066/1333* MHz (FSB 1333 requires FSB 1333 CPU and manual FSB adjustment in the BIOS)
Supoprts Intel 05B/05A and 04B/04A processors
Supoprts EIST techonology
Supports Intel Hyper-Threading (HT) Technology
Supports Intel Dual Core Technology to 1333MHz and up

your cpu

Multi-Core Quad-Core
Name Core 2 Quad Q8200
Operating Frequency 2.33GHz
FSB 1333MHz

did you set the right FSB ?

sm007thie

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
i didn't at first. when the q8200 is in, my computer nevers sends a signal to my monitor, so i couldn't make bios adjustments. at one point, i did throw my core duo in, got into the bios, changed the fsb to 1333, saved the settings and powered the computer off before windows loaded. i wasn't sure how damaging that move might be to a CPU with a 800 MHz fsb.

so when i swapped out to the q8200, it was the same deal. i thought maybe the fsb setting change didn't work because of how i powered it off. however, after swithing back to the core duo and going to the bios, the fsb was still on 1333 MHz.

i ran the MSI update utilities and my bios is current.

just to add more... the new cpu never heats up. bad cpu possibly? is there a full proof way to tell? too weak of a power supply? is there a way to determine that?