Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 w/ Cheetahs or go SSD

Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2011 5:43:18 PM

I was thinking of upgrading to either a RAID 0 with 2 Seagate Cheetah 15.5K rpm 146.8Gb conventional drives (I already have 1) or going to a Corsair P256 SSD drive. The goal is increased performance for my OS and my most often used software. I do a lot of home video editing and storage of data will be on another drive all together. I was wondering if anyone's ever used the cheetahs in a RAID 0, and if so, what they saw as a result. I was also wondering if the performance difference between the SSD and the cheetah would be noticeable. Any input would be great.

The rest of my system:
Sabertooth P67
i7 2600k (4.4Ghz)
16gb Corsair Vengeance
3TB Barracuda XT
2 XFX Radeon 6870s
Swiftech H20-220 Liquid Cooling
Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU
Corsair Obsidian 800D Case

More about : raid cheetahs ssd

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2011 7:16:29 PM

SSDs FTW, 'nuff said, no need to get technical, ssds in raid 0 will have much better access time and will perform better.

I recommend a pair of crucial m4s if you don't need a high write speed, although it will be very high compared to HDDs. It's read speed that makes your OS and everything load faster, write speed is just for 'writing'.

I would also recommend Intel's SSDs if not the Crucials.

BTW, your 2600k should be at atleast 4.6GHz+ with that liquid cooling system, you should read a 2600k OC guide.
m
l
June 27, 2011 7:29:13 PM

What SCSI controller card do you have? Does it have Win7 drivers? Does it support hardware RAID? How much would it cost to get one more HD?

The downside to Cheetahs is that they are loud and hot. But, if you could get another really cheaply and can deal with the noise and heat, it isn't a bad idea to RAID them.
m
l
a b G Storage
June 28, 2011 1:30:28 AM

Make sure your RAID controller supports TRIM passthrough if you RAID0 two SSDs. If you do not have TRIM support your performance will degrade over time. Keep in mind RAIDing SSDs will not improve access time, only throughput (this is true for harddrives as well). A single and larger/faster SSD is the way to go, this also gives you a nice upgrade path in the future. The SSD will pay for itself over a few years just in power costs when compared to Cheetahs in RAID.
m
l
!