DELTAsnake

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I'm looking at building a HTPC, I want to spend as little as possible, I see no need to buy top of the line parts for a PC thats only going to do video and audio. My only requirements are 1080P Blu-Ray playback, audio out via the video cards HDMI port and recording of OTA HD video via a dual tuner card.

What CPU, video card and amount of RAM should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Err 785G integrated video tried and tested in really respetcable h/w sites like Anands, etc and good to go for HTPC - i feel there is no reason for the introduction of a power hogging discrete @@ This would be a suggested config but i suggest for the audio portion i.e discrete soundcard, proposed/existing audio set up to go to dedicated HTPC forums like AVS forums where the top dog audiophiles hang out and can give you top class advise for that area hehe
aaqs.jpg

Err 785G integrated video tried and tested in really respetcable h/w sites like Anands, etc and good to go for HTPC - i feel there is no reason for the introduction of a power hogging discrete @@ This would be a suggested config but i suggest for the audio portion i.e discrete soundcard, proposed/existing audio set up to go to dedicated HTPC forums like AVS forums where the top dog audiophiles hang out and can give you top class advise for that area hehe
aaqs.jpg

Solution

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
If you do go fo a discreet grpahics card - i can thoroughly reccomend the sapphire ultimate Radeon 4670 - just got one and as well as being passively cooled, its low power (doesnt need its own connector) and its happily chomping through flashpoint cold war crisis in 1280x1024