First time over clocker lost! Help!! :( MS-7577

maddi123

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Hello guys! My name is Maddi and I am trying to make my system faster for all the new games coming out! :D I want to be able to play SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3, MW3, Skyrim, etc on Ultra settings! I've been doing a little research and I found (Please correct me if I am wrong) that my graphics card is pretty good but that my processor needs a little work. So I thought of trying to overclock it but I came to find out that it is an extremely hard and risky thing to do! I really need your help in this process! I need to know two things

HOW TO OVERCLOCK

and

WHAT SETTINGS/BUILD to overclock at

My system is the following:

System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7577
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 2229MB used, 14147MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 470
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06CD&SUBSYS_079F10DE&REV_A3
Display Memory: 4064 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1248 MB

Please help me do this! Thank you so much for your time and patience! Have a nice day! Maddi

Lost? That indicates you've already tried some things. There are plenty of guides out there, just google it.

For the time being, you can go into the BIOS and look at the CPU settings. You should look for any overclock options, such as Automatic or Manual adjust. Choose a "manual" selection. Then it is simply a matter of changing your multiplier from 16X to something like 17X. Anything above 17.5X may require additional voltage.

Typically an X4 955 can hit 18X at 3.6 Ghz without additional voltage, but as they say when OC your mileage may vary.

If you are going to attempt adding voltage for stability/higher overclock, be sure to use a guide to assist you as damaging components is a real danger here.