How much difference will more cores make?

emikey

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I use convertxtoDVD to convert videos a lot. I also work with photoshop and encode HD video on occasion.

Right now I'm using a 2.00 ghz AMD Athlon x2 dual core wit h3 gigs of ram. How much difference would a x4 955 with 4 gigs of fast ram make in terms of time it takes to convert videos, and encode?

I'm curious if it's worth the new PC

Appreciate the help.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I doubt cores will make that much of a difference, the much higher clock rate, newer technology, denser chip and other things will be the ones that will make the difference. A lot of software can't even use 2 cores, newer software can utilize two cores, even newer software can utilize two cores more efficiently, the newest software is starting to utilize 4 cores but very minis-cure, so the cores wont affect you nearly as much as the other increases.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
The op said what program he uses. He said what he uses his machine for. It says on the website that the app supports multicore cpus. IF it supports 4 threads then it will a HUGE upgrade. And if the app does not. Use a app that does. Its that simple. For video encoding go quad core. Its that simple.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=33&p2=88 Look aty the encoding benchmarks.

It is worth it.

Overlocking the x2 will not make up for the lack of cores.

Since i specialize in low cost computing solutions for my clients:
For video encoding work more cores is best : in low cost solutions you'd best go with Athlon 2 X4 620 - the P2X4 925 even better if within your budget hehe Even a locked multi Deneb is waaaay more clockable than any K8/Agena i've ever worked with!
RanaA1.jpg

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
When you guys are done with your domestic dispute I'd like to submit my input, lol.

If you much video encoding, especially HD, go for the quad core ASAP and start saving huge amounts of time. It's a significant improvement. I'm starting to do more video encoding and my e8400 can't keep up fast enough. I'm ordering a Q9550 this week.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Sorry about that, my misunderstanding :( lol i guess i overreacted a bit. Wont happen again.

x.264 video encode benefits from more cores. Based on the same Handbrake settings between my E6600 HTPC and Q9450 primary PC, the scaling is nearly linear; meaning the extra two core in the Q9450 resulted in almost double the frames processed per second.

I'm really interested in video encoding benchmarks of the 6-core i9 Gulftown.