Sign in with
Your question

For future use

Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2011 9:01:50 PM

i want to keep my movies, t.v and music for life

i want to get an external HDD and backup my stuff. my pc is win xp sp2. if i format the HDD for this pc will it be recognized many years down the road by newer os?

can i format the HDD on my xp and will it be recognized on win 7?

should i format it on a win7 instead?, but will the win xp recognize the win 7 format?

basically my question is what would be the best option to back up my movies to copy them back to computers many years into the furture?

ii would rather not use dvd or blueray disks and would like to just have one HDD.

More about : future

June 27, 2011 9:07:39 PM

kakeroo said:
i want to keep my movies, t.v and music for life

i want to get an external HDD and backup my stuff. my pc is win xp sp2. if i format the HDD for this pc will it be recognized many years down the road by newer os?

can i format the HDD on my xp and will it be recognized on win 7?

should i format it on a win7 instead?, but will the win xp recognize the win 7 format?

basically my question is what would be the best option to back up my movies to copy them back to computers many years into the furture?

ii would rather not use dvd or blueray disks and would like to just have one HDD.

Windows 7 will have no problem recognizing the disc. If possible, I'd suggest you do two backups, keep on on hand and give the other to a friend (encrypted) - for safe-keeping.
That way you'll always have your data.. somewhere at least. :) 
m
l
June 27, 2011 9:36:24 PM

two things:

First: both windows XP and 7 use the same format for Hard Drives so they will recognize the drive

Second: Hard drives break. If you have data on a Hard Drive you will lose it one day. No data will last for ever. That is the cold hard truth of computing today.
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2011 11:23:02 PM

r3xx3r said:
two things:

First: both windows XP and 7 use the same format for Hard Drives so they will recognize the drive

Second: Hard drives break. If you have data on a Hard Drive you will lose it one day. No data will last for ever. That is the cold hard truth of computing today.

thanks both posters for the advice.

so just have to hope that a windows OS from 15, 30, 45 years from now will remain using the same format for HDDs

about the hard drive breaking... i don't see how it will after i fill it with media and leave it in it's box on the shelf and maybe use it if my pc ever crashes with the copies on it i use, or if i buy a new pc and copy off it then. are you saying the files will degrade over time while not being used like it says so on the flash card packages?
m
l
June 28, 2011 5:03:30 AM

Sure, all data decays over time.

Maybe you should look in to online backup services instead?
m
l
!