Magicmountainman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hello, I'm new to posting here but I've been lurking around for some time. As I have not been able to find a good answer to my problem elsewhere, I decided to give it a shot here. ;)

Comp: XPS 420
Processor: E8400 (3.00)
GPU: ATI HD 2600 XT

Games Played:
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (with custom scenery add-ons)
No Limits Roller Coaster

My problem is that I have a HD 2600 XT and the fan on it starts making a high-pitched whirring (as if it were really over working itself, but I'm not going to assume anything) and at first it was just a nuisance. It started happening a few months ago when I was playing a computer game. I then proceeded to stop playing the game because I got tired of listening to the noise. After I stopped playing the game, the noise stopped.

Just two or three weeks ago I wanted to play the game again so I booted it back up and sure enough the noise was back again to greet me. I decided that I'd live with it because I liked the game. However the game started crashing and I was getting suspicious. I cleaned out my whole computer case and made sure that there was no dust in any of the fans, including on the graphics card (I cleaned it out, too). Then I updated the Catalyst and drivers for the card and tried a different game but this time performance actually suffered. I tried the first game and performance was also suffering. The graphics card is not overheating, as a matter of fact it usually doesn't heat up past 65-70 C playing my games and my whole system is well ventilated. My warranty on the system is up so Dell will not help me.

I'm really not sure why the GPU is doing this, because it's not overheating according to the readings by the Catalyst control center and I don't have it overclocked. It's like the fan thinks that it needs to overwork itself, causing the whirring noise. But now my actual performance/FPS on the games is suffering, too. I don't know about Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, but in my No Limits game, I used to get around 60 FPS on average when now I'm getting around 15-20 FPS. It's like my GPU is slowly killing itself.

If you don't fell like replacing the card or it's cooler. Take the cooler off the card and take the cooler apart. Then take the fan it's self apart and if you have any at all synthetic oil around get a q-tip and dip the q-tip in the oil and lube the (there is a metal part that connects the fan to it's base and coil) poll or what ever its called not the stator. Reassemble (replace the original compound with arctic silver5) and test it out.

It the fan making odd clicking sounds or whining while in use.

That is a good bet you should call them up or email them and maybe they will give you a 4650 since the 2k cards are no longer in stock.

Check the CPU temperature as well, Speedfan or Realtemp are good for this.
Also, recheck the GPU temperatures using Rivatuner, and, while playing a game, leave it running in the background to log the temperature, fanspeed and fan duty.
Also, how did you clean the graphics card out? Just brushing the fan is not enough, you'll need to blow the heatsink through as well, from the exhaust end, to clear it of dust, fluff etc.

Magicmountainman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Alright thanks guys. I'll check the temperatures and post them here.

Also, I already cleaned out the whole card and took it apart and reassembled it. I might try to take the whole fan base and cooler apart and redo it, but that's a last resort.

As for the warranty, my computer is about a year and a half old and it's not under warranty anymore so I'm not sure if the card would be either, but it's worth a shot.

Edit: I just looked at ATI's site and they won't recognize a warranty if the system was built by Dell or if the card is a sapphire/ other card maker.

Magicmountainman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Okay so I checked my temps on the card and it idled at about 43C and when I started the No Limits simulation it went up to about 67C at max and around 60C averaged. After I quite the game the temp stayed at around 56C.

One thing to note is that the GPU usage spiked all the way up to about 98% throughout the course of my test, I'm pretty sure it's normal though, I'm just including this in case it isn't.

Magicmountainman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
My frame rate is still suffering dramatically though. I've heard that other people have been having the same whining fan problem, but I don't think I've heard of people's actual performance suffering... I'm not sure what else could be the problem, though.