"LOCKED" message on Rampage II extreme LCD display

spike15_mk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Yesterday I remove my V10 cooler master to reapply thermal element on the processor. Everything ran smooth, until I power on the PC. I got a strange message "LOCKED" on the LCD display. Xmm.. I power off the PC and started back. This time I boot the Windows 7 64 bit without any problems. But on the next shutdown I got the same message. This time I reset the bios with the button on the back panel, and the message disappear. So my question was what is the problem, and what cause this message? I read several different threads but non of those provides solution, or any useful info.

Cheers;

My Computer Specification:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme 1366 LGA X58

CPU: Intel I7 920 2.66 GHz

RAM: 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz Kingmax

Graphic Card: Galaxy Nvidia 9800 GT 1 GB GDDR3 Low Power Consumption, HDMI

HDD: 1TB Samsung 32 MB Cache SATA

500 Western Digital 32 MB Cache SATA

Optical Device: LG DVD R/RW 16X

Mouse: Microsoft Intelli Wireless Laser Mouse 6000

Keyboard: Deluxe

Speakers: Genius 2+1 Sound System
Monitor: Samsung Sync Master T220 LCD Monitor 20000:1
COOLING System:
Chassis:
Cooler Master HAF 922
1 x 230mm Fan-Front
1 x 120mm Fan-Bottom
1 x 230mm Fan-Top
1 x 120mm Fan-Back
2 x 120mm Fan-Side
1 x 40mm Fan-Mother Board-Chipset
CPU Cooler:
Cooler Master V10 200w 2x120 Cooling Fans TEC
Other Equipment:
· Mustek UPS 1000W
· Power Supply: Cooler Master SilentPro M 1000W

Hello,

Have you tried overclocking? Is there anything out of the ordinary you did with your computer? Was this the first time you got the message after only re-applying the thermal paste?

spike15_mk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

Well I overclocked the CPU on 3.4 GHz and also on 3.6 GHz, but I hardly think that my OC could provoke this. When I put back the V10 CM, I have little problems, (because the cooler is hard for installation), so I had to push a little, but a little nothing excessive. But what is strange, now everything is OK, as I said this is very mysterious problem, so I am planing to contact Asus support.

Did some searching for you....

"I'm willing to bet it's the memory. If memory serves me (no pun intended) dual-channel DDR3 is higher voltage stuff that came out for super-high-end S775 builds before lower voltage triple-channel DDR3 came to market. Check your memory specs for voltage. If it requires more than 1.65 volts, you need to trade up to Triple-channel stuff."

That is a quote from someone...so don't take my word for it, but it would be worth a shot.

If that doesn't work...it's possible your BIOS may be corrupt - which is from the same page I got the other information about the RAM.

Also I noticed there are quite a few capacitors near the CPU socket in your motherboard...it's possible if one of those got bent/aren't working properly it may lock your BIOS too.

spike15_mk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

Tnx mate, I will check further, hope for the best :)

juravieal

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
"LOCKED" on the LCD Poster only means that you have an locked cpu installed. If you upgrade that i7 920 to an Extreme Edition, the message goes away. Assuming the computer posts, and boots up fine, this message is nothing to worry about.

If you are getting the LOCKED message, but the computer is not booting up, its failing at post. Most commonly seems to happen when trying to OC, and putting in settings the mobo doesnt like. Turning the pc off for a moment, and rebooting it back into bios to restore your settings should work fine.