• Hard Drives
  • Partition
  • Recovery Console
  • Windows XP
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2011 9:25:59 PM

Hello,
my xp pro sp2 wont boot it hangs up with a black screen.i tried to repair it through recovery console with the commands chkdsk,fixboot,fixmbr all ended up giving error messages. when i try to delete the partition c: (os)it say an error occurred press f3 to restart.when i try to intall xp the dive letters c and d are listed as unknown .i have some important data on 'd:'.any help is appreciated.

More about : windows partition unknown

a c 336 G Storage
June 28, 2011 5:48:51 AM

could we see the partition table and boot sector with microsoft's sector inspector? http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/secinspect.zip extract the above archive to the one folder and execute the sirun.bat file. the procedure will generate a report file named siout.txt.
m
l
June 28, 2011 1:10:25 PM

Unless the user has another bootable disk, then this isn't an option. If you've tried to delete partitions, then you are into using disk recovery tools

Try something like http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
June 28, 2011 6:00:01 PM

Hello,

If you could remove this single HDD from your computer (laptop or desktop?) and connect it to a separate functional one, we can see in Disk Mangement what has happened to the partitions, or if the drive itself is bad. It could be connected internally to an IDE or SATA port, or externally if you have a SATA/IDE to USB converter.

Otherwise its pretty hard to interrogate a questionable drive.
m
l
June 28, 2011 7:18:07 PM

thanks for your reply john,
i have connected the hdd(sata) internally to another working pc.. the problem is that when i connect it to another working pc the working hdd cannot be recognized by bios and it boots from the screwed hdd..i have also tried hirens boot cd and tried to fix the partition table with 'partition table doc' but it didnt work...another major problem i am facing is that when i disconnected the screwed hdd from the working machine and tried to boot from the the working hdd it says boot failure.. so i connected the sata cable to another slot on mobo and then it boots fine..
m
l
June 28, 2011 7:26:15 PM

davel_68 said:
Unless the user has another bootable disk, then this isn't an option. If you've tried to delete partitions, then you are into using disk recovery tools

Try something like http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/

thanks for your reply davel.
but i was unable to delete the partition ..it said an error occurred press f3 to restart..i wasnt even able to connect it to the working pc as the working hdd wasn't recognized by bios and it tried to boot from the screwed one..
m
l
June 28, 2011 7:51:41 PM

I'd still recommend going for the powerdatarecovery tool - there is a version that can be burned onto a CD, in which case you can boot from this and see what it can find about the drive. If it is recoverable as a working drive, then this will do it. If it isn't then at least you'll know exactly what state it is in.

If you do have access to another PC, then make sure that the boot priority for HDDs is correct, then you'll be able to boot with the corrupted drive in the system. You'll still probably need a recovery tool to make sense of the drive though.
m
l
June 30, 2011 5:28:54 PM

i have connected the hdd through sata to usb casing.. only one drive is showing up which i cannot access.. partition table doc says bad disc..i used the software mentioned by 'davel' powerdatarecovery it hangs on quick search..and the hdd is not been listed in disc management...
m
l
July 1, 2011 7:32:57 AM

I'm not sure why the drive shows up, but cannot be found under disk management. You might want to use the Ultimate Boot CD to try the manufacturer's utilities to check your disk, and see if you can recover partitions after that. The symptoms you are describing suggest that the disk may have some significant problems.

The Ultimate Boot CD can be found at:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
m
l
!