Sign in with
Your question

Are these temps bad? Worried about Overlocking AMD Phenom II X4 965BE

Last response: in Overclocking
November 14, 2011 9:34:47 AM

After wanting a little more performance from my new 965BE I decided to look into overclocking. I changed the settings through the bios not Windows. I am currently running at 4.0ghz via clock multiplier [no changes to FSB] and changed the voltage to 1.45v

Hardware
-
AMD Pheonom II X4 965BE 125w rev C

Coolermaster Geminii S fan with Coolermaster Exacalibur 120mm fan [instead of stock]

Used DIAMOND IC7 for thermal paste

Biostar TA890 FXE ATX motherboard

Apevia Xplorer2 tower case with 120mm rear exhaust [Coolermaster that came with Geminii S] stock Apevia 200mm intake on side panel [no idea of cfm/rpm ratings] and stock Apevia intake at front of case.

OCZ Elitexstream 800W
8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance running at 1333 9-9-9-24
Visiontek Radeon 5670 1gb ddr5 running at 775/1000mhz autotune overclock

I have been running Prime95 for about two and a half hours without crashing or errors, temperature went up to 60c

Prime95 is still running as I am writing this post, current temperature is 61c

After stopping prime 95 and waiting a few minutes, the temp is now 40c

[close to idle, just this internet explorer window, coretemp and speed fan open]

The stock temp of the 965 running at 3400 mhz stock has been around 34c

Should I be worried? What tests should I run? Maybe prime95 a lot longer? or is there something else?

With my current set up, heatsink, fan, etc what do you think?

I am thinking about replacing the 200mm and 120mm apevia fans with something from coolermaster, xigmatek, anything where I know the actual cfm and rpm..but I don't know about it.

I just want to know if I should run this overclock for good now
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2011 12:20:58 PM

61C is nothing to be worried about. prime95 is a good test. Personally if I am prime95 stable, I am satisfied. But if you are looking for more tests for your CPU, LinX is another good stress test.

What would your reasons be for replacing the fans? Are you looking for something quieter or do you just want lower temps. I don't think you would need to replace your fans, but there's nothing wrong with more cfm of air moved.
November 14, 2011 4:39:46 PM

Yeah, I was mostly thinking temps..if I could drop the case temp by about 2-3 c it would lower the cpu temp by 1-2 at least?

I left the PC on overnight..still on.

Linx isn't working right for me..looks like a good program though

my WEI experience score only went up from 7.5 to 7.6 though..is that normal for a .6 ghz gain?

It does feel snappier though.

I think maybe some gaming would be the next test?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2011 5:32:39 PM

WEI is just a ballpark experience index. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You should test it out gaming. That would be a good test, although with a 5670, your gaming will be very GPU limited an you may not be able to see the performance increase of your overclock
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 15, 2011 7:37:06 PM

The only problem that comes with these temps is that it tends to slightly water down memory controller performance but the cpu cores will remain stable at much higher temps. Your temps are normal.
November 16, 2011 4:20:27 AM

So I scaled down to 3.8 ghz, same 1.45 voltage

Ran 6 hours and 12 minutes of prime95, total of 268 tests

temperature stayed at 59c the entire test

idle temp after test was 38c

Idle temp before test 34c

Contemplating the following

Leaving memory as is 1333, 9-9-9-24 and bumping up to 3.9 ghz for hopefully same temps

Or keeping the 3.8, and kicking the memory up to 1600 9-9-9-24

ideas? Suggestions?
!