Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WD 640GB vs. Samsung F3R 1TB?

Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2011 11:09:17 PM

Hello everyone!

Quick question here.

Because of location - related issues I can't acquire a SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB (HD103SJ) HDD (new rig).

Turns out I have to find an alternative, and it came down to 2 choices:

WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 640GB (WD6401AALS) $ 60,99 - (very recommended HDD)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R 1TB (HE103SJ) $ 79,99 - (RAID / ENTERPRISE version of the F3)

Which one would you choose? Should I go with the WD and get a second one for RAID 0 in the future? Should I get the RAID / ENTERPRISE version of the F3 instead and pay the extra $15? Why? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance! :D 

More about : 640gb samsung f3r 1tb

a c 104 G Storage
June 28, 2011 12:51:10 AM

Hi Martin,

You will get recommendations for WD, Seagate, & Samsungs depending a lot on the experience folks have had with a particular brand in the past.
Might check the recent posts on Tom's Hardware. Several regarding the Samsungs with noise and vibration.

Personally I would purchase the WD Black Caviar. They are quiet, fast, and very few complaints.
Fast is always 'good', but unless you are using it for hi end gaming, the RAID-0 doesn't outweigh the risks of data loss. And unless you are into videos, or photos, it's pretty hard to use up 640GB of space.
m
l
June 28, 2011 1:09:08 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi Martin,

You will get recommendations for WD, Seagate, & Samsungs depending a lot on the experience folks have had with a particular brand in the past.
Might check the recent posts on Tom's Hardware. Several regarding the Samsungs with noise and vibration.

Personally I would purchase the WD Black Caviar. They are quiet, fast, and very few complaints.
Fast is always 'good', but unless you are using it for hi end gaming, the RAID-0 doesn't outweigh the risks of data loss. And unless you are into videos, or photos, it's pretty hard to use up 640GB of space.

Thanks for the advice!

I know the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 is low on vibration and noise compared to the WD Black. I don't really care about that, all I want is the best possible performance out of a HDD (while maintaining reasonable prices).

I am into high-end gaming, that's why the RAID 0 is always a plus. Also, I always keep a data backup, so I'm not really afraid of a HDD on RAID 0 failing on me. I also like to hoard movie files, meaning that the more free space I can get, the better (my actual data backup is about 500gb).

I do like the WD black 640Gb AALS, but just realized it is an older generation drive with 320GB platters instead of the newer gen. 500GB. I might end up getting the F3R or the WD1002FAEX after all!

EDIT: I'm on a budget, that's why an SSD is not really an option. That's also why it is so important for me to pick the fastest HDD I can.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
June 28, 2011 1:53:49 AM

martinduque86 said:
Thanks for the advice!

I know the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 is low on vibration and noise compared to the WD Black. I don't really care about that, all I want is the best possible performance out of a HDD (while maintaining reasonable prices).

I am into high-end gaming, that's why the RAID 0 is always a plus. Also, I always keep a data backup, so I'm not really afraid of a HDD on RAID 0 failing on me. I also like to hoard movie files, meaning that the more free space I can get, the better (my actual data backup is about 500gb).

I do like the WD black 640Gb AALS, but just realized it is an older generation drive with 320GB platters instead of the newer gen. 500GB. I might end up getting the F3R or the WD1002FAEX after all!

EDIT: I'm on a budget, that's why an SSD is not really an option. That's also why it is so important for me to pick the fastest HDD I can.

You can't go wrong with either one.
And finding the best component for your system, at the lowest price, is part of making computers a fun hobby.
September 12, 2011 6:54:39 PM

Best answer selected by martinduque86.
m
l
!