Radeon HD 5870 review

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
man i can't wait to see the crossX benchies, Think 2 5870 = 4870 X2 quad that actually scales well (or just about).

My estimates since the 5870 is slightly weaker at times and slightly stronger at others, we might see it equal 4870 X2 quadfire.

But again just assumptions.

SCALING FTW!

EDIT

DAmn you jaydee u answered my question before I asked it!

Reading that brought up the IQ debate again for me.
Essentially it's still theoretical, but interesting none the less, I wonder what this will do with their FirePro range, and if they can enable AA above 8X finally (the Quadros support 32X on a single card).

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
2q2e4hi.jpg

:D

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Nice picture, Harrison. I've read the review on here and Anandtech, but I look forward to the review at The Tech Report. Looks like a solid card. At the current price, it performs similar to my system so I'm not disappointed that I added another GTX 260 Core 216. I can't wait to see what future drivers will do to performance and scaling.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I just read Tom's and [H]'s reviews, and it looks like an amazing card.

One thing that I don't understand, though, is how the new "Eyefinity" technology on these cards differs from previous cards. Is there something special about the inputs, or does it allow you to use dual-screen resolutions with games that didn't previously support it?

I first tried dual-screen gaming two years ago; I played Portal on two 19" monitors (2560 x 1024 rez), and that was with an old Radeon X600. If a Radeon X600 could do that, then there's no way that newer cards couldn't do it. What's the difference with Eyefinity (stupid name)?

The difference is that with the older multi-screen implementation, the screens were reported to the OS and to the games as two separate screens. Eyefinity combines up to 6 screens into a single large virtual screen, so as far as the game knows, you simply have a really wide screen. All the game needs to support is a non-standard aspect ratio, wheras before, it had to explicitly support multiple screens.