Radeon HD 5870 review

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 4:05:24 AM

Reading it now, wowzah
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 4:08:24 AM

Well the reading begins....

That first leaked Toms Italy review had so many spelling errors and general errors I wasn't sure if they were Chris' or the translation, should know soon.

Be back much later. :hello: 
Related resources
September 23, 2009 4:10:37 AM

hahaha, yeah it looks like I traded up.

Edit:

@ Jaydee

Dunno how late I am on this but congrads on becoming a mod;)
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 4:13:21 AM

Not late at all, just today actually, and TY
September 23, 2009 4:15:54 AM

man i can't wait to see the crossX benchies, Think 2 5870 = 4870 X2 quad that actually scales well (or just about).

My estimates since the 5870 is slightly weaker at times and slightly stronger at others, we might see it equal 4870 X2 quadfire.

But again just assumptions.

SCALING FTW!

EDIT

DAmn you jaydee u answered my question before I asked it!
September 23, 2009 4:20:05 AM

not bad at that price. And DX 11 is a plus as well.

Just release the dam card!!!!
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 5:06:08 AM

Reading that brought up the IQ debate again for me.
Essentially it's still theoretical, but interesting none the less, I wonder what this will do with their FirePro range, and if they can enable AA above 8X finally (the Quadros support 32X on a single card).
September 23, 2009 5:08:32 AM

the card seems pretty happy sandwiched between the 295 and the 4870x2. my call s that the 5850 =>285
September 23, 2009 5:20:05 AM

Seems to be getting a lot of good recommendations in every review. [H] gave it a gold award, guru3d must-have.

Overall, good card, quick, and beats the P/P of everything about the HD 4890/GTX275.
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 5:33:20 AM

LOL !! :lol:  CLASSIC !!
September 23, 2009 5:54:28 AM

Nice picture, Harrison. I've read the review on here and Anandtech, but I look forward to the review at The Tech Report. Looks like a solid card. At the current price, it performs similar to my system so I'm not disappointed that I added another GTX 260 Core 216. I can't wait to see what future drivers will do to performance and scaling.
September 23, 2009 5:55:19 AM

I just read Tom's and [H]'s reviews, and it looks like an amazing card.

One thing that I don't understand, though, is how the new "Eyefinity" technology on these cards differs from previous cards. Is there something special about the inputs, or does it allow you to use dual-screen resolutions with games that didn't previously support it?

I first tried dual-screen gaming two years ago; I played Portal on two 19" monitors (2560 x 1024 rez), and that was with an old Radeon X600. If a Radeon X600 could do that, then there's no way that newer cards couldn't do it. What's the difference with Eyefinity (stupid name)?
September 23, 2009 5:56:16 AM

geez i thought we are on recession... At the moment, all the 5870 are sold out...
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 5:58:02 AM

one-shot said:
I can't wait to see what future drivers will do to performance and scaling.

Same. I feel like it has more hidden potential just waiting to wreak havoc on Nvidia. :p 
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 6:42:01 AM

angry_ducky said:
I just read Tom's and [H]'s reviews, and it looks like an amazing card.

One thing that I don't understand, though, is how the new "Eyefinity" technology on these cards differs from previous cards. Is there something special about the inputs, or does it allow you to use dual-screen resolutions with games that didn't previously support it?

I first tried dual-screen gaming two years ago; I played Portal on two 19" monitors (2560 x 1024 rez), and that was with an old Radeon X600. If a Radeon X600 could do that, then there's no way that newer cards couldn't do it. What's the difference with Eyefinity (stupid name)?

The difference is that with the older multi-screen implementation, the screens were reported to the OS and to the games as two separate screens. Eyefinity combines up to 6 screens into a single large virtual screen, so as far as the game knows, you simply have a really wide screen. All the game needs to support is a non-standard aspect ratio, wheras before, it had to explicitly support multiple screens.
a c 130 U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 6:52:20 AM

Firstly congrats on the Modship sir JDJ [:lectrocrew:5] :p 
Secondly Anyone have an idea on how long the 5850's will be ? About a week ?
Thanks
Mactronix

PS Love the Batmobile :lol: 
September 23, 2009 7:05:06 AM

needs driver updates....
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 7:26:01 AM

Damn, are there gonna be any Vets left that are not super mod lords? :D 
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 1:35:19 PM

This topic has been reopen by TheGreatGrapeApe
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 1:36:50 PM

The Tech Report review is up now, of course, just as I'm going to work! :fou: 

http://techreport.com/articles.x/17618

It's seems to be a little less of a review than I thought.

BTW, Random, why lock this thread and not simply add to it as the pre-existing thread?
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2009 7:15:44 PM

ahahaha congrats to both of you on getting Mod superpowers btw. I haven't found any real variation in any reviews, so it's performance seems pretty consistent.
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 1:03:19 AM

Yeah I haven't found much variation in the reviews either, they're mostly fluff really.

Chris' review here had more information than most of them out there, with a few being big disappointments in that respect.

Surprisingly I found [H] and Anand doing a better job than I expected, far better than most.
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2009 1:25:26 AM

Yeah, in the end it landed about where it was expected to, between the 4870X2 and 295, so no real surprises there. In fact, I was expecting at least a couple compete failures in some games, but I guess since it was so similar to the 4800s what worked on them will work on it. The other encouraging thing (to me at least) was the rumors/previews of some real DX11 games (as in using a lot of DX11 features) coming up sooner than expected. That sure is a relief after DX10's fiasco. That gives me hope that maybe around January I'll have an excuse to grab a 5850 (or NVidia 300, best to keep an open mind). I also really like the idle power on these cards, though I would like a comparo between these and the newest revision 4850/70's, as I am amazed at my XFX 4850. It barely runs its fan at all, yet it stays in the 40C idle 60C max range (I wish I had measured the power of my old 4850 before moving it over to my other system).

And congrats JDJ. I thought it must have been recent, because I don't remember seeing you as a mod until just now.
!