Pci-e to Pci adapter

JLmusic99

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I have a PCI card that I need to use, but no PCI slot, only PCI-E.

I bought this PCI-E adapter :

http://www.startech.com/item/PEX1PCI1-PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card.aspx

but unfortunately with the PCI card, it won't fit in the case (probably a quarter inch more and it would fit).

I was thinking of buying this cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PCI-Express-PCI-e-PCIe-Riser-Card-Extender-Cable-7I_W0QQitemZ360202297050QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53ddbadeda

inserting the adapter into that, and the PCI card into the adapter. It would then be hanging out the back of the computer, figured I would put it in a box or something, not sure how hot they get.

Seems sort of crazy, but would it work?

Thanks.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Using those adapters means that you're going to be limited to using low profile PCI cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI#Low-profile_.28half-height.29_card

So if the PCI card you're attempting to use isn't low profile or doesn't have the option for a low-profile bracket, you're out of luck. It's purely a matter of dimensions... those adapters add height... so you can't use the a full size PCI card... only low profile.

JLmusic99

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Right, that's why I'm asking about using the extender cable, so I wouldn't have to install the PCI card inside the case, as it doesn't fit, it's too big (just barely).

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Seems like it should work. It'll be one whacked out lookin install, but hey, as long as it gets the job done.... right !!!

You don't say what type of PCI card your tryin to use. Just curious, might have a mounting suggestion. Also, is it the bracket that wont fit, or the top edge of the card that is protruding???

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Well, you don't need a case for the computer. You could run it open bench.

Also, if you do get a PCI > PCI-E adapter, don't expect much performance. There is a reason we abandoned PCI for graphics cards. High end cards will be heavily bottlenecked. Running the graphics card with the adapter is like running Hoover dam's water supply with a straw thick pipe.

I'm not saying it won't work, but it will hold back your graphics card. You are better off spending money on a cheap motherboard. These days one goes for about $50 if you're willing to start at the low end of the spectrum. Just depends on what system you have.

JLmusic99

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Yes, if it works, that's all I care about! If I could just hammer the card to the side of the case and have it work, that'd be fine by me.

The card is a UAD-1 PCI card (plugins for recording):

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb05/images/uaudio4uad1.l.jpg

A concern that someone else mentioned was that running a PCI card on an extended cable may be a problem power-wise. They said:

"But then the electrical engineer side of me kicks in (electrical engineer 31 years). I don't think it a good idea to run power and PCIe signals through a flat ribbon cable 17 cm in length linked in your earlier post. Depending on the amount of power needed by the card, voltage drop through the extender cable could be significant. Maybe it will work or maybe it won't."

The PCI-E adapter has a 4 pin power plug (I'm going to have to get an extension for that as well), but what do you all think of what he's saying?

Thanks for the help!

JLmusic99

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
The UAD-1 isn't a graphics card, it's a plugin card used for recording music. Reverbs, compressors, EQs, FXs, etc. It was originally over a thousand dollars, and long story short, I had to switch to a computer that doesn't have PCI slots, only has PCI-E slots. If I wasn't in the middle of a project that used this card, at this point, I would just as soon dump it in the trash!!

There is a new version (UAD-2) that is PCI-E, but that' would be a minimum of another $250. I've also been looking for a used PCI-E version of the UAD-1, but haven't found one yet, or I could buy another new computer with PCI slots.

There really hasn't been an easy (and cheap) solution to get this card that I already bought awhile ago going again. Hence, this crazy idea with adapters and cables and junk.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I would say the way you're planning it is way better than buying a new card or motherboard... I mean who really cares if a card is sticking out the back? In my opinion, fixing that "issue" isn't worth hundreds of dollars.

JLmusic99

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Alright then, in that case a new motherboard would be the easier and cheaper way out with all the hassle.

Doesn't cost too much I hope :)

That thought came up, but how much would that be? And wouldn't I then have to completely re-install windows and everything else from scratch?

For some reason this crazy setup seems less of a hassle than that, but maybe I'm not getting the "hasslelessness" of a new motherboard. I've never switched one out before.

JLmusic99

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The whole thing with this card has been a drag, it's the only thing in my studio that is no longer compatible, and the thought of spending more money on it or a new one, well it kind of pisses me off!!

So I'd kind of enjoy making a mockery of it with a tape and glue setup, just have it working lying on the floor with me stepping on it occasionally. :kaola:

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I'm sure the power requirements and heat generated by that card shouldn't be an issue. Kinda like a modem or NIC card, low power usage. As for the 4 pin power cable, use an extension if the PSU doesn't have a long enough cable already. I'm sure the reason behind the added power cable is if you were using a graphics card that draws quite a bit more current.

As for locating it, I would just put it in a small cardboard box or similar just to keep it from shorting on anything and still allow air to circulate around it.

It doesn't look like you have to plug anything into the card, so just set the box on the bottom of the computer case.