• Heatsinks
  • Cooler Master
  • Cases
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
November 14, 2011 3:23:57 PM

Hello everyone,

I've bought a Coolermaster Silencio 550 case... my first thing was that I've switched the "worthless" included fans to some regular 1200rpm fans that actualy do some airflow. My temps are a bit better. But I wonder if I can do any better, in one review online I've read that a guy ripped out all the insulating material from the case because it only insulated heat and not sound. Is that true? I have no problem in ripping it out of this case if it helps.

What I have inside it is :

i5 2500K , Noctua NH-U9B SE2 @ 4GHz
16GB ram 1600
4x HDD
1x GTX 285 ( waiting for my other GTX285 to come back from RMA ) .

Right now I'm idling at 41-42C in a pretty hot room ( it's usualy cooler, but I'm sick right now...so it's warm, ok enough detail)

If someone has this case , then please share some tips with me, I'm in a dilema..should I or should I not rip out all the insulating material...I really don't hear any difference if the case is open or closed...

Greetings
Robert

More about : coolermaster silencio 550

December 12, 2011 8:16:15 AM

I'd also like to hear some advice on this. I'm building into the Silencio 550 and want to improve airflow as much as I can, but I don't want to completely sacrifice the whole point of the case (to be silent). So where's a good balance?
a c 183 K Overclocking
December 12, 2011 3:56:16 PM

You limited yourself cooling wise by choosing a case with only 3x120mm fan mounts.
Gtx 285 sli will add even more heat.
I'd add aftermarket vga cooling or sell the case and choose something more appropriate.
The competition from Antec and Fractal Design offer much better cooling options and still retain the quiet factor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
January 6, 2012 9:50:31 AM

Wonderful how always has to be this buy this and that helpers.

Would also like to have some real tips for the 550 airflow issue. Got 965 with noctua nh-c12p-se14 and temperatures arent alarming but would like to get them down a bit to have chance to try some OC'ing. Just tested what if i turn cool'n quiet off and after some time in swtor i had temps around 62 which is bit too much as they normally stay at 54ish. Turned cool'n quiet back on. Just tried what if I open the case to see if the toothpaste is put right and temperatures dropped another 10-12 degrees. So, clearly airflow issue.
Have stock fans like they are but i added some 85ish CFM fan to lower front.

I havent put much effort to cables so that will propably also help degree or 2 but i saw some review of the case which kinda helped also. My hdd's are quite scattered in those 2 racks so im gonna put all 3 of them to the bolted lower rack and remove the upper one and put my high cfm fan there. Still got stock fan blowing air to drives so they dont have any heating issues as they propably wouldnt anyway. Better fan is then blowing fresh air directly to graphics card and cpu. If thats not enough i might change the stock fans to better ones and maybe put the best one to back to try slight underpressure setting. All these might still be just time wasted but got to try something as for sure im not gonna buy new case _again_. If nothing helps and temperatures stay at 54 i dont die. I just dont try the OC.

Any thoughts without buy this and that are welcome.

edit: Oh right, before i got that noctua and additional case fan i was running this set with all stock fans and coolers. Temperatures were stable 62-63 and cpu cooler was doing calming 7k rpm so i wouldnt totally shoot the recent purchases.
January 18, 2012 7:25:01 AM

Hello again.

Have to share results of the experiment I did with the fans.
So I did some cleaning of the cables inside the case and switched all hdds to lower rack and took the removable rack away. Also put the 1500rpm fan to the upper intake slot.
Also removed the plastic thing around gpu cooler.

Results were looking good at start but then they went again to 54'ish when on swtor. Decided to quit trying and forget the OC'ing.

Yesterday I got bored and tried last thing before buying faster and better fans. I changed the fast fan to exhaust and now have both stock fans infront and only the around 80CFM fan behind. Results were good.

Processor temps dropped to 43-44 in swtor and also gpu temps dropped 20 degrees.

So it IS possible to get decent airflow into the case and not even really hard, just trying different stuff might help.
February 27, 2012 2:48:52 PM

Hi, I too have a CM silencio 550 and i was getting really bad temps.

~50'c on idle

and ~80'C on full load with swtor too. heck i was even getting close to 90'c

this was way too hot

so what i did was re-routed all the cables through the back (behind the mb) so all the cables are out of the way to allow air to flow inside the case. By putting your hand over the fans, you can feel if its and intake or exhaust. my front fan was exhausting the air while the top/back fan was exhausting also. I switch the front fan around to make it an intake fan. put it all together and i was pleasantly surprised that my temps had gone down significantly.

my idle temp is now 30'c and on full load with swtor it was around 60'c pushing 65'c max!!! :p 

it came down to the airflow inside my case.

i7 2600k, stock HS/fan, asus z68-v/gen3, asus gtx 570

i was gonna fork out $150 for a water cooler cause i wasnt happy with these temps but now i can save that money and buy another fan and maybe a fan controller, but at this stage the 2 stock CM fans are working just fine.
May 6, 2012 9:54:54 PM

Hello, I am also having trouble with the "Silencio 550 owen", especialy if a game uses GPU to the max.

My system is Core i5 2500K (not overclocked), MSI GTX560 ti Twin Frozr, Scythe Mugen 3 rev. B, AsRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3 with fan control.

Currently I run 2 pre-installed 800 rpm fans, that are good enough for cooling the sytem at idle (30 - 35'c), and for games that
don't require 100% GPU usage.

On full load (settings on ultra in Battlefiled Bad Company 2) it got really hot, GPU temp. hit 80'C, and CPU & MB around 50'C. In fact, the side panel got so hot, that I have put it down, in fear of burning something. In about two minutes the temperatures dropped significantly (CPU and MB 10'C, GPU 15'C). I don't even want to think, what temperatures I would be hitting, if I had another GPU in SLI...

Clearly the two stock fans aren't up to the task of cooling the system under heavy gaming load (it is kind of funny, BF Bad Company 2 produces more heat in my system than Battlefield 3 or CoD MW3), so I'm replacing them with 2 x 120mm 1600 RPM or 1900 RPM fans http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/026/sy1225sl_deta...

According to the specifications, with the 1600 rpm. fans I should get twice as much airflow (of course, when needed, at the idle the fans would run at about 800 RPM, as they do now) . I will only use this two fans, so the place for another optional fan in the front will be empty.

Should I perhaps go for the 1900 RPM ones?
November 25, 2012 4:26:46 PM

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I thought I give my opinion.
I recently build my self a new Pc in a Silencio 550 case;

i5 3570K with a Noctua nh-d14 (no overclocking yet)
16 Gb of ram
hdd and ssd
and a GTX 460 OC

I put in two Noctua NF-p12 two switch out the stock fans, kept one though for a bit more intake for the hard drives.

Cpu Temperature wise I'm idling around 38ºC and after 15 mins of Prime torture test it peaked at 62ºC.
As for my gpu most stress it had was a bit of 3DMark 2011, but then i exhausts its hot air out of the case.

So what I'm trying to say is, switch out the stock fans and your fine, but that's Just me.
January 11, 2013 6:46:26 AM

AdrianBartels said:
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I thought I give my opinion.
I recently build my self a new Pc in a Silencio 550 case;

i5 3570K with a Noctua nh-d14 (no overclocking yet)
16 Gb of ram
hdd and ssd
and a GTX 460 OC

I put in two Noctua NF-p12 two switch out the stock fans, kept one though for a bit more intake for the hard drives.

Cpu Temperature wise I'm idling around 38ºC and after 15 mins of Prime torture test it peaked at 62ºC.
As for my gpu most stress it had was a bit of 3DMark 2011, but then i exhausts its hot air out of the case.

So what I'm trying to say is, switch out the stock fans and your fine, but that's Just me.

How could you fit NH-D14 in Silencio 550?
January 13, 2013 12:38:06 PM

z3thw00d said:
How could you fit NH-D14 in Silencio 550?

Well it's a bit tight but it fits. Before byuing anything I checked compatibility for all components, and there weren't soposed to be any issues, and there were not.
Just make sure to connect the fans before you insert the heatsink (taking of the fans helps).
January 14, 2013 4:40:51 AM

AdrianBartels said:
Well it's a bit tight but it fits. Before byuing anything I checked compatibility for all components, and there weren't soposed to be any issues, and there were not.
Just make sure to connect the fans before you insert the heatsink (taking of the fans helps).

Thank you Adrian. :) 
Does it press and compact the foam on the side?
May 11, 2013 4:31:16 AM

You can watercool them but you need to do a few mods,here are mine.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7p0pvl8rzn91mcg/_yX8oD_FlN

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwqbpsa78ac5mrv/2013-05-11%20...

I used 2 x Magicool 240 (slim 29mm) Radiators a XSPC single mount for the front and a Phobya 240 mount for the top,after half an hour with the grinder they were good to go,the front rad has about 1mm clearance this allows a nice rubber mat to prevent vibration,i also added another 120mm vent at the bottom to direct the airflow,the top rad is offset to allow a Sabretooth 990FX's ram slots to clear the bottom of the front fan,im using a 200mm side fan to supply the air for the front fans and provide some cooling for the ram.

!