psychic71

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hi,All
I am looking to build my first pc. :eek: I have decided to go for a Thermaltake Lanbox VF1000BWS.
With a ASUS SKT-1366 RAMPAGE II GENE S/L 6400MT/s Motherboard.

Now its the graphics card i'am not sure about....
Would a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 fit in the Lanbox?
I would like to run 2 Graphics cards (SLI) in the Lanbox maybe 2 NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2's???
Would i be able to fit 2 cards in the lanbox??
Any advice on which cards would fit and which cards i could fit and use in SLI (if any!) would be appreciated.

ckaz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
First off, what kind of budget are you looking at. From the component examples you have mentioned, price isn't to much of an obstacle? Even if price isn't your biggest concern, who doesn't like to save money? I would suggest ATI in many aspects.

ATI used to be the underdog competitor for NVIDIA, but lately they have been progressing their technology and many will agree that ATI has now exceeded NVIDIA, when you look at the money you are saving, when the performance differences are slight, and insignificant. If your looking t put two GPU's on their, than the Radeon HD 4870 X2 will perform greatly. That is ATI's second best graphics card in their HD 4000 series, and the differences between that and the HD 4890 (their top product), are in my opinion, to small for the price increase. I will give you a link with top recommendations at different price points, and that lists the cards stats to. This will include ATI and NVIDIA so give it a look. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2387.html

As for the fit, I don't have experience but after reading a couple of reviews, no one has had any trouble fitting their vid cards. Maybe research that one a bit more thoroughly on you own though.

Today, a single graphics card can easily play any game at resolutions up to 1920.

SLI/Crossfire does not always scale, and in certain MMOs can even reduce frame rates. The power consumption, heat, and complexity of SLI/Crossfire should be reserved for upgrades and those ultra-high resolutions that may make it necessary.

Ideally, new builds should pair a single graphics card with a mobo/psu that can support SLI/Crossfire. If/when the need to upgrade arises you have the choice of buying a second identical card or a single (perhaps) new-gen video card.