Just dropped 800$ on 2 X 5870 cards....taking benchmark requests.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Just ordered a Saphire, and an HIS card, because newegg was limiting one per customer. UPS Next Day Saver, should both be here on Thurs. (my day off)

So, just wanted to see your comments and what benchmarks etc. does everyone want to see ?

BTW I am pairing them up with: Core i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz (w/ Xigmatek Thor's Hammer)
Asus P6T X58
12 GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600Mhz
Zalman 850 W
X-FI Fatality Gamer Pro
Raptor 150
All in Cosmos S case w/ 9 120mm fans ( I hope air flow to the second card is not an issue!)

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

Yea, I know they've got them up, but I think we all know there are always discrepencies in benchmarks from site to site, and it is always beneficial to take a look at a 3rd party's results for further reinforcement.

And not to mention, I will have great fun benching games with my new cards lol.

to microterf: I will do Crysis of course, but I don't have NFS Shift yet, also I have 24' monitor, 1920x1200, plan on getting two more for eyefinity eventually.

microterf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
thanks. I plan on getting the x2 when it launches and a 5870 to trifire it. to replace the 4870trifire setup now. Hoping that will be enough to push my 30" and 2 26"ers for eyefinity. We'll know in 2 months.

With all due respect, you are not a third party.

Your results are merely anecdotal.

But by all means, have fun, and good luck with those cards!

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

I dunno pal, I've done a few on various pieces of hardware and all have been well recieved, cheers. :hello:

EDIT: Not to mention, I'm gonna bench a few games that nobody has done yet (that I can find) such as ETW, which I know is graphically limited by current hardware.

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mines over at the Egg and he states that the 5870's are still being unpacked and that they will not be available till noonish.... How is it you ordered a 5870 already???? And as far as one per customer?? That is nonsense....

Can you post a copy of your invoice?

You missed it. They were available for brief periods during the night. The Sapphire was the first, followed by Asus.

So you are trying to tell me that some Egg reps leaked a few GPU's before the launch?

Well if this is true, why would the OP buy 2 5870's from different vendors? That is kinda wierd, I would have had someone else buy me the same exact GPU just to make sure they are both the same and not look funky....

Yep, I guess I did miss it.... The pallets sent by AMD only had a few 5870's and the rest were CPU's.... I bet we will see a few of those GPU's on E-bay for much more than what newegg is selling them.... Just like when the PS3 and 360 came out....

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
To answer your questions as best I can OvClkr:

I ordered my cards late last night at about 1 AM, when I went to purchase 2X Sapphire cards, it said in the description that it was ( limit one per customer)

Therefore; I decided to get 1 Sapphire card, and 1 HIS card to get around that problem. There will not be any conflicts between the cards, espescially because they are both stock configurations, based on ATI's own designs. With that being said I would of course rather have two cards from the same vendor, but I don't see it as a big deal. My card got charged late last night, but it has not shipped yet, or at least UPS has not updated to that effect.

I hope you understand now

I understand completely but I would have waited just to make sure I get 2 identicle cards... Just FYI, they are a tad different on the outside so that is the reason I stated that the CF setup might look funky.... This is of course only if you will be x-firing both cards....

Maybe you don't get my point.... With an 800.00$ budget I would have made sure both cards were from the same brand... Thats all.... ;)

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

well, you gotta remember the only thing different will be the sticker on the cooler, and since i am crossfiring them ( and one card will be right on top of the other) you won't even be able to tell them apart. So no worries here.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I realize it isn't important right now, since they pretty much destroy every game at every resolution right now... but I've been curious if they have any over clocking headroom...

Also, I suspect toms will be doing this soon, but if you want to beat em to the punch (which i suspect you do considering you made this post lol), you could test the cards in CF at various CPU speeds. ie. determine in crysis at max settings where the CPU becomes the bottleneck.

Well if the coolers are identicle then I guess you are correct.... I was thinking maybe they would be a tad different just like XFX's upcomming GPU's

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

I'll post some pics up when I get them installed so you can judge for yourself.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

That's a great idea, and it is very doable, maybe I will do benchmarks with 2.66 (stock) cpu speed, 3.0Ghz, and 4.0Ghz and see how much of a ceiling that keeps giving me. I will definately do that for you.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

The reason I got two...is honestly...not a very good one lol. Basically up until about 3 weeks ago I had a 4870x2 + 48701GB for tri-fire. Which was an absolutely fantastic setup espescially because the 9.8 drivers gave HUGE fps gains in some games using CF technology. ( for example FC2 gave me almost 50% gains at 1920x1200 with AA and AF!!!)

With that being said, I didn't want to just get one card which is roughly a bit better than a 4870x2 (according to reviews that i see) I really wanted an UPGRADE if you know what I mean. That's why I grabbed two of them, also whe the X2 comes out I will probably do tri-fire again, and sell one of the cards for cheap. :sol:

TRENDING THREADS