chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I was planning on getting the corsair 1000hx, but just found out it is made by a different manufacturer than their other power supplies. The jonny guru review of the 850hx is good, but I am concerned that it might not be enough for my system. I am a little leary of the 1000hx after reading this:

Article

Should i go with the 850? I want my power supply to be future proof. For instance, I might one day run 2 5870x2s or something similar, 6 hds, two water cooling loops.

What should I get? Is the 1000hx subpar compared to the 850hx?

Solution
What is your full system specs, very few people need 1000 watts of power, and not many need the 850HX either. The jonnyguru review of both of them were very good, while it may be made by a different OEM they are both still great PSUs, however there are better 1kw PSUs out there now.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=89

Chedderslam, you may think you will go for 2 5870x2s in the future but i find that highly unlikely, get the 850hx for now and if you find you need more power im sure there will be several nice 1200 watt PSUs out by then, but as it stands right now, cards will be using less power in the future to give better performance so power usage will likely drop a bit.

Masterasia, find me someone...

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
if you're going to be running all that, you need a 1200 watt power supply. I just saw a video where a guy had 2 GTX 295 in SLI with an overclocked i7 and he was pulling in over 900 watts consistently .

What is your full system specs, very few people need 1000 watts of power, and not many need the 850HX either. The jonnyguru review of both of them were very good, while it may be made by a different OEM they are both still great PSUs, however there are better 1kw PSUs out there now.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=89

Chedderslam, you may think you will go for 2 5870x2s in the future but i find that highly unlikely, get the 850hx for now and if you find you need more power im sure there will be several nice 1200 watt PSUs out by then, but as it stands right now, cards will be using less power in the future to give better performance so power usage will likely drop a bit.

Masterasia, find me someone who built a rig like that for gaming and not just for showing off, quad cards dont scale well and no one needs that much graphics power anyway.

Solution