Sign in with
Your question

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500gb

Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2011 4:32:02 AM

hey guys,

sorry if this has been posted but im not too sure how to seach.

recently my new HDD has been making a sound usually when i play music on itunes/VLC. the sound it makes is when your computer crashes and BSOD's is that noise. its makes it for roughly 1 second.
can get a bit annoying and freaky cause i think its crashing.

thanks
a c 311 G Storage
June 28, 2011 2:05:06 PM

1) Buy new drive
2) Copy contents of old drive to new drive
3) Either
a) Copy old drive to new drive and backup to third drive; throw old drive in trash
b) Copy old drive to new drive and keep old drive for emergencies.

If there is any sign that a disk is failing, replace it. The cost is small compared to the cost of rebuilding your system and recovering your data.
June 28, 2011 4:09:07 PM

ok i may need to add this in, as none of those seem good :p 

i built my computer and its a brand new harddrive. is there any cahnce it could be anything else?
a c 311 G Storage
June 28, 2011 5:26:49 PM

Nothing outside of the hard drive, short of a hammer, is going to make the hard drive make noise. You pays your money and you takes your chances. A drive that is giving any signal of failing is not a chance that I would choose to take.

I'm missing your point. The only other option that I am aware of would be to repair the hard drive. It has no user-serviceable parts. If you took it to a hard drive recovery lab, they would not re-adjust the frammis wire; they would copy the contents of the drive to a new drive.
!