SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500gb

cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
hey guys,

sorry if this has been posted but im not too sure how to seach.

recently my new HDD has been making a sound usually when i play music on itunes/VLC. the sound it makes is when your computer crashes and BSOD's is that noise. its makes it for roughly 1 second.
can get a bit annoying and freaky cause i think its crashing.

thanks

1) Buy new drive
2) Copy contents of old drive to new drive
3) Either
a) Copy old drive to new drive and backup to third drive; throw old drive in trash
b) Copy old drive to new drive and keep old drive for emergencies.

If there is any sign that a disk is failing, replace it. The cost is small compared to the cost of rebuilding your system and recovering your data.

cheapshots

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
ok i may need to add this in, as none of those seem good :p

i built my computer and its a brand new harddrive. is there any cahnce it could be anything else?

Nothing outside of the hard drive, short of a hammer, is going to make the hard drive make noise. You pays your money and you takes your chances. A drive that is giving any signal of failing is not a chance that I would choose to take.

I'm missing your point. The only other option that I am aware of would be to repair the hard drive. It has no user-serviceable parts. If you took it to a hard drive recovery lab, they would not re-adjust the frammis wire; they would copy the contents of the drive to a new drive.