Solved

4GB or Ram and Windows XP

I am in the process of planning a rebuild of a blown computer (lighting took out the MB and PSU this past summer). I will be reusing my HD, CDRW, DVD ROM and Windows XP 32 bit. I am planning on purchasing i7 860, Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe, 2x 2GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, ATI 5850, and an 850 watt PSU, probably Consair.
Around Christmas I will add Windows 7 64 bit, new HD or SDD, 2 more GB or RAM, and the newest version of MS Office.

My question is will I be ok with running Windows XP 32 bit with 4GB of total ram? I know Windows will not be able to address all of it, but will I take a performance or stability hit for going over the total address able memory? I would hate to have to buy 2 1GB modules now just to change it later this year.

Thanks

Chris
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows
  1. Best answer
    It will be fine. I sometimes run XP on a system with 8GB with no adverse effects (other than only 3GB is available).
  2. Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and buy 4GB now and add 4 more GB later when I switch to Windows 7 64 bit.

Chris
  3. Since you normally want 4 identical modules, it would make sense to by 8GB now.
  4. Even 4 gigs of RAM is enough.
  5. shubham1401 said:
    Even 4 gigs of RAM is enough.

It depends on what the system is used for.
  6. I’m guessing 4 GB will be enough for now. I will be on XP for almost a year, then afterward I’ll decide if 4 GB is enough or not. We use the machine for MS office, Internet, and some gaming. My wife uses Publisher and Powerpoint a lot. I mainly use Excel, IE, and games.
    The only reason why I am upgrading is because lighting took out most of my old Socket 939 AMD rig. I am using a 10 year old P3 system which is driving me crazy! No more Need for Speed for me. LOL

Now I just need to decide which RAM to buy. I like to play around with a little overclocking so I’d like to get some decent 1600 CAS 8. However for my use, I’m sure stock speeds with 1333 will probably be just fine.

Chris
  7. Best answer selected by ccannon222.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Windows XP