Dvi connection to hdmi monitor wont work

kaozsnake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I bought a brand new computer from HP. It had VGA and DVI on the back. The monitor it came with has VGA and HDMI. I bought a DVI to HDMI but when i have them connected it doesn't work. VGA to VGA is working. I can't figure out how to get the DVI to HDMI to work.

Monitor: HP w2338h
Tower: HP a6863w

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
You have to connect them first and then turn on the computer. When the computer turn on it will look for the connector that is being use and send the signal trough that connection. and make sure that you have selected the HDMI input on the monitor. you should not have to select to use the DVI on the computer it should do it by itself.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Just because you attached a DVI to HDMI adapter to the DVI port does not mean the integrated ATI HD3200 will support it. I would go to AMD/ATI website and get the latest graphics driver version 9.9 there is a fix for HDMI. Did the DVI to HDMI adapter come with the computer? If no I doubt it will work. The motherboard does no have a HDMI port.

kaozsnake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I downloaded the 9.9 version of the graphics driver. There is still no detection of signal on my monitor. I turned off the computer and restarted it. Hoping it would auto detect and I had the VGA cable disconnected. I got nothing.