Which micro Z68 should I buy?

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I want a z68 motherboard with no overclocking limitations for the CPU. What mATX board can do this for the best price with quality materials? Also, I know its weird, but I really don't want an MSI board unless its not friggin brown (dont ask).

building a micro PC and having trouble picking out a good motherboard. I think I have given up on sli or decided at least that I dont care about it.

G

im looking for the samething..... i dont need a ultra overclockable board... 2500k to something around 4.2ghz would be fine...

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
im looking for the samething..... i dont need a ultra overclockable board... 2500k to something around 4.2ghz would be fine...

Hey doctor, I ended up buying the high end gigabyte micro z68. Its about $140 and has everything you could ever need. My gigantic cpu cooler even fit on it with a few cm of room between the graphics card.

I was able to narrow my selection down to gigabyte just based on aesthetics lol. I know its silly, but if I take the time to get all black and blue components for the rest of my build, I sure as hell don't want a brown motherboard.... That rules out MSI, ASUS, and ASROCK. Why they make high end components with brown PCB's is beyond me, but whatever.

here are the differences other than color:

asrock board comes with 3x system fan hookups. If you don't have a fan controller or don't want to mess with any of that then I suggest the asrock...that and its really cheap. The ASROCK boards will NOT SLI however, so if you can rule that out great. If you like SLI and still want to go cheap, get the $95 gigabyte...I think it has a 2nd pcie slot at 4x.

If your absolutely retarded, buy the $190 asus gene-z, you can do all sorts of things you never really wanted to do related to overclocking and may or may not be able to get 500mhz more out of your OC.

I'm running 4.5ghz stable on the gigabyte board, battlefield 3 puts my temperatures into low 60's tops. Going to try to step it up a bit more today.

Im pretty sure all of the micro z68 boards will hit 4.5 if you have the right cooling. Just don't use that stock cpu fan. If you are, I bet you can still get that 4.0-4.2 your looking for.