Small case issue

Unknottypaul

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Hello all, new member here

I've just got into the idea of upgrading my system, which unfortunatly happens to be an Imax 3515, and I have run into a slight snag. After shoving in some extra ram my next step is the gpu and psu, however having eyed up a geforce 260 i soon noticed it's far to big to fit in my machine. I only have 2" past the pciex16 slot, so about 8.6" all together to work with.
I had a bit of a hunt for card dimensions and see that Gigabyte's 8800gt is roughtly 8.5", and would probably squeeze in. My other solution was buying a new case, or even transfereing the contents into a previous Packard Bell case I have lying around.
Any recomendations on what action to take, or of smaller gpu's that would fit my case would be very much appreciated.

powerful gaming cards all have big coolers because they need them .

Id swap cases as the best solution , and also consider power supply at the same time . Many oem computers come with fairly restricted wattage psu that wont handle the current draw of the gfx card so you need to check that .

Yu may also be able to fit a radeon 4770 or 4850 in your existing case . There are models of both which are shorter than than the width of the mb

Last month I purchased an XFX Radeon HD 4770 video card for a special project. The card is only 8.5 inches long. It is an energy efficient card that only requires one 6 pin PCIe connection. When installed the connector on the card is located on the edge of the card closest to the front of a pc case. If there is no drive installed to interfere with the video card connection, then you might be okay. If there is a drive that lines up with the card, hopefully you can move it to an empty drive bay.

The 4770 is an excellent mid-level, energy efficient card. It is not a high end gaming card. However, technical reviews have been very favorable. Here's a link to a recent Tom's Hardware review of the card:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-4770-crossfire,2288.html

EDIT - I just took a look inside my case. The card is almost one inch shorter than a standard atx motherboard.

Unknottypaul

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Thanks for the tips guys, it seems my options are (assuming I don't change case) the palit 4850, or the gainward or zotac eco editions of the 9800gt. All three of these only go an inch or so past the pci-e slot in my comp (and of course all of which are a major upgrade from the integrated 7050 :p).

I shall consider these three for the time being, and perhaps change case or even build a fresh system in a year or twos time when I have a bigger budget.