joan_trc

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I would like to take my OS to a new SSD and put all my other programs on a separate HD and make it the slave. How do I do this? :pt1cable:

Since you want all your programs on a separate drive, just install your OS on the new SSD then when you install your programs, change the installation directory to one that is on your new hard drive.

The only other choice is to clone your SSD, boot up with the new SSD, uninstall all your programs and reinstall them on the new hard drive.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Attach the SSD, use imaging software to image the current harddrive to the SSD, tag the SSD as the bootalble drive and formate the old drive when you're booted into windows You can drive R-Drive Image r-tt.com or Acronis

I agree with Hawkeye; an SSD deserves a new installation. If you clone an existing installation onto an SSD, you will be left with settings that use the SSD inefficiently. If you do this, read the recent article on the care and feeding of SSDs and make the suggested tweaks.

Please note that, with an SSD, you must
■ Use Win7. Previous versions do not support the trim command
■ Have the controller set to AHCI mode in BIOS. The default IDE mode does not support the trim command.
■ Check after installation that the partitions are properly aligned on 4K boundaries. Sorry, I'm at work, and I don't have the name of the utility here.

As far as installing programs on another drive: First, the lovely thing about having the SSD for the OS drive is how fast programs load. Programs on an HDD won't load as fast.
If a program's installation offers a chance to change the installation directory, you are golden. Many do not. To relocate one of these, you will have to look into "Junctions"; use this as a jumping-off point" http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269338-32-news-large-game-drive