Sims getting stuck for no good reason

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

Has anyone else ever noticed that with S2, Sims can be walking around a
bend in a house that's diagonal and even though there's nothing directly
in front of them, they get stuck anyway.

I've had one die because she was standing in such a spot for days and I
didn't notice it.

To illustrate, pretend the angular line here is the 45 degree diagonal
wall of a house, even though it's impossible to make it precisely 45
degrees here:


|
|
|
\ Interior o
\ of
X \ house
\
-----------


The Sim is standing out in the yard where the X is. They'll just stand
there...till they die.

Very annoying.

--
--Cuth
11 answers Last reply
More about sims stuck good reason
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure each
    room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this should
    solve the problem of them being able to find their way between rooms.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in
    news:1124188503.284697.263750@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure
    > each room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this
    > should solve the problem of them being able to find their way
    > between rooms.
    >
    >
    Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
    angled doors fine.

    --
    Mike
    A basic premise is an absolute that permits no co-operation with
    its antithesis and tolerates no tolerance.
    -- Hugh Akston
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
    news:Xns96B44E0DB4935maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18...
    > "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in
    > news:1124188503.284697.263750@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure
    >> each room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this
    >> should solve the problem of them being able to find their way
    >> between rooms.
    >>
    >>
    > Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
    > angled doors fine.
    >
    Ditto. I built a whole house from interlocking octagons which met only on
    the diagonal. Some arches between rooms but also a lot of doors. My Sims
    never had problems moving between rooms.

    V
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Veronica L" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:PjlMe.89918$G8.34800@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    >
    > "Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:Xns96B44E0DB4935maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18...
    >> "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in
    >> news:1124188503.284697.263750@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >>
    >>> Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure
    >>> each room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this
    >>> should solve the problem of them being able to find their way
    >>> between rooms.
    >>>
    >>>
    >> Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
    >> angled doors fine.
    >>
    > Ditto. I built a whole house from interlocking octagons which met only on
    > the diagonal. Some arches between rooms but also a lot of doors. My Sims
    > never had problems moving between rooms.
    >
    > V
    >

    I am not sure what triggers the bug.
    One of my favorite downloaded houses uses diagonal walls for the bathroom
    doors.
    The sims will go into the bathroom just fine.
    They just will not leave on their own.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
    > Has anyone else ever noticed that with S2, Sims can be walking around
    > a bend in a house that's diagonal and even though there's nothing
    > directly in front of them, they get stuck anyway.
    >
    > I've had one die because she was standing in such a spot for days and
    > I didn't notice it.
    >
    > To illustrate, pretend the angular line here is the 45 degree diagonal
    > wall of a house, even though it's impossible to make it precisely 45
    > degrees here:
    >
    >
    > |
    > |
    > |
    > \ Interior o
    > \ of
    > X \ house
    > \
    > -----------
    >
    >
    > The Sim is standing out in the yard where the X is. They'll just
    > stand there...till they die.
    >
    > Very annoying.

    Use the moveobjects on cheat to pick them up and move them. There's another
    cheat, too, boolProp displayPaths (true/false) that is supposed to show the
    paths the selected sim will take to get to an object. Maybe you could use
    that to debug the paths. There might be something like a stuck kicky bag
    there that you just can't see.

    Jeanie
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    DeAnn wrote:
    > Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure each
    > room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this should
    > solve the problem of them being able to find their way between rooms.
    >

    Um, I didn't say anything about doors, or walking through them.

    --
    --Cuth
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Jeanie wrote:

    > Use the moveobjects on cheat to pick them up and move them. There's another
    > cheat, too, boolProp displayPaths (true/false) that is supposed to show the
    > paths the selected sim will take to get to an object. Maybe you could use
    > that to debug the paths. There might be something like a stuck kicky bag
    > there that you just can't see.

    I know I can use a cheat. But I don't want to have to watch my Sims
    constantly to see if they're stuck someplace on a giant estate.

    And no, there's no stuck kicky bag. This happened before university,
    and it happens at every diagonal. There can't be a stuck kicky bag at
    every corner of every house in every neighborhood.

    --
    --Cuth
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    >>> Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
    >>> angled doors fine.
    >>>
    >> Ditto. I built a whole house from interlocking octagons which met only on
    >> the diagonal. Some arches between rooms but also a lot of doors. My Sims
    >> never had problems moving between rooms.
    >>
    >> V
    >>
    >
    > I am not sure what triggers the bug.
    > One of my favorite downloaded houses uses diagonal walls for the bathroom
    > doors.
    > The sims will go into the bathroom just fine.
    > They just will not leave on their own.
    >
    I was thinking about this and realised very, very few of my diagonal walls
    are longer than one unit. And the one house that does have larger diagonal
    rooms has many openings/doors on the square.
    Perhaps it is tied up with a longer diagonal wall then doors also on diag,
    whether on the long wall or not.

    I suppose it could be tested but what a boring job that would be, waiting
    for a Sim to freeze? ugh.

    Veronica.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    Veronica L wrote:

    > I was thinking about this and realised very, very few of my diagonal walls
    > are longer than one unit. And the one house that does have larger diagonal
    > rooms has many openings/doors on the square.
    > Perhaps it is tied up with a longer diagonal wall then doors also on diag,
    > whether on the long wall or not.
    >
    > I suppose it could be tested but what a boring job that would be, waiting
    > for a Sim to freeze? ugh.

    Well, you are right that all the times it happens to me, the walls are
    longer than one unit.

    I don't have time to test it either. But interesting theory. ;-)

    --
    --Cuth
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Cuthbert Gurdlestone" <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in
    message news:43023996.3000005@earthlink.net...
    > Jeanie wrote:
    >
    >> Use the moveobjects on cheat to pick them up and move them. There's
    >> another
    >> cheat, too, boolProp displayPaths (true/false) that is supposed to
    >> show the
    >> paths the selected sim will take to get to an object. Maybe you
    >> could use
    >> that to debug the paths. There might be something like a stuck kicky
    >> bag
    >> there that you just can't see.
    >
    > I know I can use a cheat. But I don't want to have to watch my Sims
    > constantly to see if they're stuck someplace on a giant estate.
    >
    > And no, there's no stuck kicky bag. This happened before university,
    > and it happens at every diagonal. There can't be a stuck kicky bag at
    > every corner of every house in every neighborhood.
    >
    > --
    > --Cuth
    >
    How do you know there isn't?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims (More info?)

    "Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
    news:Xns96B44E0DB4935maboxinvalid@216.77.188.18...
    > "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in
    > news:1124188503.284697.263750@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure
    >> each room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this
    >> should solve the problem of them being able to find their way
    >> between rooms.
    >>
    >>
    > Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
    > angled doors fine.
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    > A basic premise is an absolute that permits no co-operation with
    > its antithesis and tolerates no tolerance.
    > -- Hugh Akston
    >
    Mine too.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sims Games Video Games