Sims getting stuck for no good reason

Has anyone else ever noticed that with S2, Sims can be walking around a
bend in a house that's diagonal and even though there's nothing directly
in front of them, they get stuck anyway.

I've had one die because she was standing in such a spot for days and I
didn't notice it.

To illustrate, pretend the angular line here is the 45 degree diagonal
wall of a house, even though it's impossible to make it precisely 45
degrees here:

\ Interior o
\ of
X \ house
\
-----------

The Sim is standing out in the yard where the X is. They'll just stand
there...till they die.

Very annoying.

--
--Cuth

Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure each
room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this should
solve the problem of them being able to find their way between rooms.

"DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in

> Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure
> each room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this
> should solve the problem of them being able to find their way
> between rooms.

Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
angled doors fine.

--
Mike
A basic premise is an absolute that permits no co-operation with

"Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
> "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in
>
>> Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure
>> each room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this
>> should solve the problem of them being able to find their way
>> between rooms.
>>

> Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
> angled doors fine.

Ditto. I built a whole house from interlocking octagons which met only on
the diagonal. Some arches between rooms but also a lot of doors. My Sims
never had problems moving between rooms.

"Veronica L" <marrowjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
>> "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in
>>
>>> Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure
>>> each room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this
>>> should solve the problem of them being able to find their way
>>> between rooms.
>>>

>> Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
>> angled doors fine.
>>
> Ditto. I built a whole house from interlocking octagons which met only on
> the diagonal. Some arches between rooms but also a lot of doors. My Sims
> never had problems moving between rooms.

I am not sure what triggers the bug.
One of my favorite downloaded houses uses diagonal walls for the bathroom
doors.
The sims will go into the bathroom just fine.
They just will not leave on their own.

Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
> Has anyone else ever noticed that with S2, Sims can be walking around
> a bend in a house that's diagonal and even though there's nothing
> directly in front of them, they get stuck anyway.
>
> I've had one die because she was standing in such a spot for days and
> I didn't notice it.
>
> To illustrate, pretend the angular line here is the 45 degree diagonal
> wall of a house, even though it's impossible to make it precisely 45
> degrees here:
>

> \ Interior o
> \ of
> X \ house
> \
> -----------
>

> The Sim is standing out in the yard where the X is. They'll just
> stand there...till they die.
>
> Very annoying.

Use the moveobjects on cheat to pick them up and move them. There's another
cheat, too, boolProp displayPaths (true/false) that is supposed to show the
paths the selected sim will take to get to an object. Maybe you could use
that to debug the paths. There might be something like a stuck kicky bag
there that you just can't see.

Jeanie

DeAnn wrote:
> Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure each
> room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this should
> solve the problem of them being able to find their way between rooms.

Um, I didn't say anything about doors, or walking through them.

--
--Cuth

Jeanie wrote:

> Use the moveobjects on cheat to pick them up and move them. There's another
> cheat, too, boolProp displayPaths (true/false) that is supposed to show the
> paths the selected sim will take to get to an object. Maybe you could use
> that to debug the paths. There might be something like a stuck kicky bag
> there that you just can't see.

I know I can use a cheat. But I don't want to have to watch my Sims
constantly to see if they're stuck someplace on a giant estate.

And no, there's no stuck kicky bag. This happened before university,
and it happens at every diagonal. There can't be a stuck kicky bag at
every corner of every house in every neighborhood.

--
--Cuth

>>> Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
>>> angled doors fine.
>>>
>> Ditto. I built a whole house from interlocking octagons which met only on
>> the diagonal. Some arches between rooms but also a lot of doors. My Sims
>> never had problems moving between rooms.

> I am not sure what triggers the bug.
> One of my favorite downloaded houses uses diagonal walls for the bathroom
> doors.
> The sims will go into the bathroom just fine.
> They just will not leave on their own.

I was thinking about this and realised very, very few of my diagonal walls
are longer than one unit. And the one house that does have larger diagonal
rooms has many openings/doors on the square.
Perhaps it is tied up with a longer diagonal wall then doors also on diag,
whether on the long wall or not.

I suppose it could be tested but what a boring job that would be, waiting
for a Sim to freeze? ugh.

Veronica.

Veronica L wrote:

> I was thinking about this and realised very, very few of my diagonal walls
> are longer than one unit. And the one house that does have larger diagonal
> rooms has many openings/doors on the square.
> Perhaps it is tied up with a longer diagonal wall then doors also on diag,
> whether on the long wall or not.
>
> I suppose it could be tested but what a boring job that would be, waiting
> for a Sim to freeze? ugh.

Well, you are right that all the times it happens to me, the walls are
longer than one unit.

I don't have time to test it either. But interesting theory. ;-)

--
--Cuth

"Cuthbert Gurdlestone" <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in
message news:43023996.3000005@earthlink.net...
> Jeanie wrote:
>
>> Use the moveobjects on cheat to pick them up and move them. There's
>> another
>> cheat, too, boolProp displayPaths (true/false) that is supposed to
>> show the
>> paths the selected sim will take to get to an object. Maybe you
>> could use
>> that to debug the paths. There might be something like a stuck kicky
>> bag
>> there that you just can't see.
>
> I know I can use a cheat. But I don't want to have to watch my Sims
> constantly to see if they're stuck someplace on a giant estate.
>
> And no, there's no stuck kicky bag. This happened before university,
> and it happens at every diagonal. There can't be a stuck kicky bag at
> every corner of every house in every neighborhood.
>
> --
> --Cuth

How do you know there isn't?

"Mike Andrade" <ma@box.invalid> wrote in message
> "DeAnn" <diwan@mitre.org> wrote in
>
>> Sims don't seem to see doors that are on a diagonal. Make sure
>> each room has at least one door that is not on a diagonal and this
>> should solve the problem of them being able to find their way
>> between rooms.
>>

> Funny, but I've /never/ had this problem. All my sims see the
> angled doors fine.
>
> --
> Mike
> A basic premise is an absolute that permits no co-operation with
> its antithesis and tolerates no tolerance.
> -- Hugh Akston

Mine too.