cartilage

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
My Specs:
EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit Desktop Memory Model Q2X8G6400C4DHX
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550
Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223Q LightScribe Support
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders
Samsung SyncMaster T240

I built this last November. It took me roughly 2 hours to put together and since that day I have not had any problems. The roughly 2 days ago while I was in the midst of doing something it shut down. I attempted to turn it back on and the only thing to appear before it shut down again was the motherboards republic of gamers then it shut down again. I just left it off and came back around 6 or 7 hours later. It powered on fine and I went back to doing what I do. After about 10 minutes it powered off. I attempted to power it back on. With no joy. It continuously shuts down. I've stripped it down, cleaned every part and put it all back. It still shuts down. So, I go though and made sure everything was placed properly. But, it's not very complex. I left it alone for a while again. Then came back to it and it worked fine for about 4 minutes. Then back to shutting down. I read a few forums about people having simular problems and I notice my motherboards name comes up in conversation a lot. I just have no fault lights or beeps. I've tried to run test but, if I attempt to enter bios or anything it powers down. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like either an overheating problem or a dead stick of RAM. What are your idle/load CPU/GPU temps?

Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS (DDR2 800 @ 4-4-4-12 timings and 2.1v)? Have you tried each stick of RAM by itself in the first RAM slot? If that works, run Memtest86+ for multiple passes on each RAM stick to find the problem child. Memtest86+ is good for finding faulty RAM, but not so great at detecting incorrect RAM settings. I've seen RAM with the voltage set too low pass Memtest86+ but BSOD in normal usage.

cartilage

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Fans are al working and overheating is not a problem. I cannot get into the bios. The computer shuts off after it's starting display. I've gone through attempting start up with each stick of RAM with no luck.

Any other ideas?

TRENDING THREADS