A question about fan connections...

Killer Carebear

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Hello All...,

I have been looking to build a system recently, so have been doing some research, and choosing out components and things before I started buying.

I have a pretty tight budget, so have been choosing out low-cost parts, and I came across something that I was unsure of, which is why I came here:

-The lower cost motherboards that I have been looking at only have one or two slots to plug in case fans. Can I install more than one or two case fans, and still be able to control them, with this limitation?

I know there are fan controllers available, and have no problem buying and installing one, But I am unsure of how they work exactly.

Thank you in advance for any answers. :)

Killer Carebear

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
As far as I can tell it is an easy question, with a pretty easy answer, anyone got anything to say, would make things much easier for me :)

Is it possible to control the speed of more than one fan in a computer case with only one fan plugin on the motherboard?

You don't need to buy fan controllers. I know factly that there are "Y" connectors with the same 3-pin molex connectors that are designed for this purpose. What these cables will do is allow a 2:1 connection, meaning two fans to one spot on the board.

I have built two gaming systems using this method, and have not seen any problems.

Killer Carebear

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Thank you! :) I thought these must exist but did not find any on newegg at first. After you said this, i looked harder and found exactly what I needed for a fraction of the price of a fan controller.

Just for future record though, does a fan controller do the same thing with the added use of controlling fan speed?