Gaming Rig for $500

Im on a strict budget of $500. Im building one for me and one for my girlfriend for Aion and other PC games. I have nothing atm but want to build primarily on the core components, Mobo, CPU, RAM, HD, OS...etc... Ive been out of the loop for about 1.5 yrs with computer hardware and software so im unaware of who is better then who atm. 1.5yrs in computers could be lifetimes so I need help. Video cards as always are quickly upgradable and get cheap fast too so im not to worried about that. Any advice or a direction will be great thanks.

-bobby
3 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. Saikane said:
    Im on a strict budget of $500. Im building one for me and one for my girlfriend for Aion and other PC games. I have nothing atm but want to build primarily on the core components, Mobo, CPU, RAM, HD, OS...etc... Ive been out of the loop for about 1.5 yrs with computer hardware and software so im unaware of who is better then who atm. 1.5yrs in computers could be lifetimes so I need help. Video cards as always are quickly upgradable and get cheap fast too so im not to worried about that. Any advice or a direction will be great thanks.

-bobby

Tough budget. I've been looking to build a computer myself, and based upon current Newegg pricing, I don't think you can build a worthwhile machine with a licensed OS for under $500. But, I'll assume you want to run a Linux distro or recycle an existing license, and give you an idea of an optimal hardware setup for $450-500

PSU- Earthwatts, Silverstone, OCZ, and CX400 Corsair can be had for under $50. 450 or so watts should be plenty for a budget system. It's more important to get a supply that meets sticker ratings and uses quality components that will hold up

CPU: E6300 is the sweetspot. E5xxx to save a few pennies, but lacks virtualization for Windows 7. AMD for a cheap triple-core, but only if your games benefit

Motherboard: Gigabyte has a nice G31. Look for good heatsinking and solid polymer/japanese caps, whatever you buy

HDD: no sense in buying smaller than 500GB

Video: HD4850 and 9800GT are older parts, but deliver good performance for what they cost. HD4650, 9500GT or GTS220 if youi can't afford a better card, but the performance is much lower.

Case: Coolermaster has some economical ones. You can't go wrong with that brand, and they have one down to $30.
  2. That sounds good, I have a case and OS isnt an issue atm. I mainly need core equipment and with so many threads going back and forth on what's the better CPU. AMD or Intel last time I was in the computer world the new top CPU was E6600. I like nVidia more on graphics aspect but i still dont know who is better for primary gaming. Anything will be good if its future upgradable as well. CPU and MOBO are big deals since i dont want to have to upgrade those constantly. =\ lol (also im not familiar with Dual or Quad and which to try to get) A friend also told me to save up the money and get a E8400 over any quad cores, according to him Core 2 Duo beats most quads but i dont know how reliable that info is.
  3. If you have to purchase an O/S it'll be tough to stay within the budget, but if you leave that out I think a usable setup can be come up with. While the Core2 chips are good, I tend to stick with AMD for low budget systems just because I think the cost/performance ratio is better in this category. Anyway, heres what I was looking at for $370+shipping:
    AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz $55
    ASRock M3A785GMH/128M AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $79
    Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) $55
    LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 $27
    Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive $55
    COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply $35
    ASUS EAH4670/DI/512MD3 Radeon HD 4670 512MB $65

Which I think is a decent base point, since thats under your budget some good places to spend the difference would be a better CPU:
    AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz for a guaranteed quad $99
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1GHz if you want to try your luck unlocking the cores. $99
    A better GPU such as:
    XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB $119
    And a bigger HD such as:
    Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EADS 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $90

Those will bring you to just over $500 and be a pretty decent setup IMO

Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

Components Product