Solved

Everything on Externall HDD?

First of all, if this is in the wrong section, I apologize. I was recently talking with a relative and he told me he had heard that some people stored all their data for their desktop on an external HDD and only kept the operating system on the Desktop HDD. Then these people will re-install the OS every 6 or maybe even 3 months to clear the registry of all errors. He asked me if I had heard of doing this at all and I hadn't, so I figured I'd make a post about it. Have any of you heard about or even done this? Does it have benefits and is it worth doing? Or is it just pointless?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about everything externall
  1. Best answer
    Sounds really pointless to me. I can understand of having rollback points, but a clean install everry 3-6 months is not needed if you take care of your machine (no malware, virus etc). If there are "registry-errors" something change the values and that something is what is causing the problem. Particularly with Win7, the OS is very stable, I'm still running my orignal install from several years ago with no noticable performance degradation. If I were you, I'd store everything on the internal HDD and image it to the external periodcally. This will allow you to rollback or restore if you ever have a problem, versus have all your data on a single drive and reformatting the internall all the time.
  2. So besides the benefit of not losing your data if something goes wrong with your pc/internal hdd, it doesn't bring benefits? If I periodically do full scans with Avast and Malwarebytes, keeping my system clean, there is no need to re-install the OS? I'll tell my relative seeing as he was curious if this was a useful practice.
  3. It's so pointless in having it on external HDD unless you got a low GB HDD like 60GB or 120GB... I rather get another internal HDD at 1TB for storage...

NOTE: How do you guys post thread like were do you go to post it? I've been searching and i cant find where to post thread...
  4. legendkiller said:
    It's so pointless in having it on external HDD unless you got a low GB HDD like 60GB or 120GB... I rather get another internal HDD at 1TB for storage...

NOTE: How do you guys post thread like were do you go to post it? I've been searching and i cant find where to post thread...

I'm not sure that I understand your question LegendKiller...
  5. Best answer selected by trogdor796.
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Hard Drives External Hard Drive Storage