Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel Celeron 900 W7 vs. AMD 64 Athlon X2 Vista

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 25, 2009 9:48:37 PM

I want to buy low-end budget HP PC loaded with Windows7 with an Intel Celeron 900 processor. I will then load MS Office Professional. Basic email/MSOffice/internet streaming tasks. Nothing major, but might run 4 or 5 apps at once. Will this processor seem really slow vs. the current AMD 64 AthlonX2 Processor I have on my current laptop running Vista?
November 26, 2009 1:34:25 AM

iv found n e single core CPU in 7 or vista is slow compared to a dual core in the same OS
m
0
l
November 26, 2009 2:51:16 AM

Your definitely going to see a slow down as dual cores take less load when running more than one app and since Win 7 is designed to take better advantage of multi core CPU's. If i were you i would just buy Win 7 for your laptop and you'll see a speed up.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 104 à CPUs
a b å Intel
November 26, 2009 7:31:49 PM

The AMD will kick the ass out the Celeron in any O/S.

I'm currently using a HP laptop with an Athlon X2-64 2Ghz with 3GB and its running W7 32-bit like a dream and have Office 2007 installed.
m
0
l
November 26, 2009 7:38:45 PM

das_stig said:
The AMD will kick the ass out the Celeron in any O/S.

I'm currently using a HP laptop with an Athlon X2-64 2Ghz with 3GB and its running W7 32-bit like a dream and have Office 2007 installed.


Is it one of those new Vision laptops?
m
0
l
a c 131 à CPUs
November 26, 2009 9:55:48 PM

yannifb said:
Is it one of those new Vision laptops?


"Vision" is just AMD's new rating system for laptops made with AMD CPUs and ATI GPUs.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 10:02:48 PM

Yeah just buy an upgrade version of Win 7 for your notebook
m
0
l
November 26, 2009 10:55:01 PM

enzo matrix said:
"Vision" is just AMD's new rating system for laptops made with AMD CPUs and ATI GPUs.


Yeah i know that, i was asking b/c i didn't think they were released yet...
m
0
l
November 26, 2009 11:11:58 PM

According to my manufacturer, my current laptop model cannot be upgraded to Win7. Acer Aspire 4520. Why, I have no idea. Maybe the real problem is Vista? Any quick tips to make it run faster... I only have 1Gb Mem, perhaps dollars better spent upgrading that to 4Gb instead of new laptop, since my processor is 1.8GHz now.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2009 3:19:19 AM

Your manufacturer is most likely full of crap. You can upgrade to windows 7. The only concern is the drivers. Most vista drivers will work just fine with 7.

You current machine is actually fine. It is most likely a software problem. Malware/virus/windows. Try a clean install of vista. Before doing any of that I would check on the temps. And make sure cool and quiet is on and working.

There is NO NEED to upgrade your machine for what you do with it.
m
0
l
February 11, 2010 6:36:53 AM

stephdj1 said:
According to my manufacturer, my current laptop model cannot be upgraded to Win7. Acer Aspire 4520. Why, I have no idea. Maybe the real problem is Vista? Any quick tips to make it run faster... I only have 1Gb Mem, perhaps dollars better spent upgrading that to 4Gb instead of new laptop, since my processor is 1.8GHz now.

well, i'm actually using acer aspire 4520, and when i checked in the official website the driver for win 7 is availabele there.. so you don't have to worry about upgarding it to win 7. the real problem i have now is, should i choose win 7 64bit or the 32bit one? and i have 2gb mem, which one do you think..?
m
0
l
!