2500k vs 2600 for video editing/trancode/game

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wich is better?

2500k 230$ (canadian $) + decent mobo around 150$
2600 310$ + 70$ mobo

I was wondering... instead of overclocking the 2500k with an expansive motherboard and maybe a more powerfull psu (mine is 430W)
wouldnt it be better to just buy a 2600 with a cheap motherboard? and stay with the same psu...

Thanks

Solution
I'd go with the 2500k and overclock it over a 2600. The 2600 adds hyperthreading and a slightly higher stock clock rate and drops down to HD2000 graphics. Overclocking the 2500k to 4.5GHz will probably give you matching performance to a stock i7 for multi-threaded tasks, and will make single threaded tasks run faster. Also, since the HD3000 is clocked higher and has twice as many pixel pipelines, I would imagine that quick sync runs faster. Quick Sync would be worth it for video transcoding. Cyberlink's PowerDirector 10 takes advantage of Quick Sync.

A 430W PSU is plenty to overclock the 2500k unless you also have a power hungry graphics card.

Also, for the motherboard you may want to consider the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3. It'll give you...

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I'd go with the 2500k and overclock it over a 2600. The 2600 adds hyperthreading and a slightly higher stock clock rate and drops down to HD2000 graphics. Overclocking the 2500k to 4.5GHz will probably give you matching performance to a stock i7 for multi-threaded tasks, and will make single threaded tasks run faster. Also, since the HD3000 is clocked higher and has twice as many pixel pipelines, I would imagine that quick sync runs faster. Quick Sync would be worth it for video transcoding. Cyberlink's PowerDirector 10 takes advantage of Quick Sync.

A 430W PSU is plenty to overclock the 2500k unless you also have a power hungry graphics card.

Also, for the motherboard you may want to consider the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3. It'll give you Z68 chipset so you can use Quick Sync and will allow you to overclock the CPU.

EDIT: of course, I'd go with a 2600k over a 2500k.

Solution
G

@nordlead : 4.5ghz..... crazy... thanks for the explanation.! ill go with what u said then!

btw.. is there any decent matx mobo? made some research and they all suck apparently... i only have 1 video card.... plenty enough for me

Status
Not open for further replies.