Sign in with
Your question

Memory questions and concerns

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
February 22, 2010 11:16:47 PM

Hello all,

Being new to the computer building world, I have a friend, who is a network engineer, help me put together a new computer. At this same time I had another friend putting together a computer of his own also. So we all got together and built them together. We both ordered the same motherboard and CPU, only he ordered different RAM and a new PSU also. Other than that the only differences we had are the size of our HDDs and our Video Cards. I am having troubles, and he is running everything smooth as can be.

To get to the problem. I am experiencing difficulties installing games. It seems as if every game I try to install errors in someway or another, or will install and then error out of the game. Whether it be straight from the disk or .ISO back ups from previous games each gives me problems. If its from the disk, I.E. World of Warcraft, it errors telling me

"D:\Installer Tome 2.mpq". This error may be caused by problems with the media or drive at D:\--for example, a scratched or dirty CD-ROM/DVD-ROM, hard drive corruption, or a networking problem while downloading the installer.

If I can get past initial setup, patch update for the game corrupt on download.

and if it is a mounted image .iso I get a CRC error. "The file doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted"

I've been reading a lot of forum posts trying to figure out what the issue is and i've come up with nothing. Except, that I have one bad stick of memory, which I removed. Even after the stick of memory was removed I still encounter the same problems. What I am trying to figure out is if this actually a memory problem or is there more to it then that. Either hard drive I install to gives me the same errors and same troubles. I guess I can't see RAM doing this after a bad one is removed, even on a fresh install. Please help, could use the trouble shooting advice. I already plan to return the RAM with one stick being bad, and replacing it.

Windows 7 x64
XFX nForce 750i SLI Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor @2.5ghz
Wintec Ampx 4096MB PC6400 Memory - DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel (2x2048MB)
Seagate ST3250318AS Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - 250GB, 7200, 8MB, SATA-300
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM
Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-400 400W ATX12V Power Supply
February 22, 2010 11:27:44 PM

Sorry, would also like to add that smaller programs like Ventrilo, installed and work without a problem.
a b } Memory
February 22, 2010 11:51:28 PM

Have you tried downloading the installer for WoW from the website? Sounds like your optical drive is having trouble reading from disc, which explains why vent was such an easy install.
Related resources
February 22, 2010 11:59:36 PM

It was actually the first thing I tried (Gave original and BC to a friend to use to reinstall haven't seen it back yet. Didnt know that wotlk had it all on the DVD, but that failed as well). PC Client gave the same results, but its not just WoW i'm worried about just seems every game, anything bigger to install then like 100mb gives me trouble. Something is always corrupt or im thrown CRC errors.
a b } Memory
February 23, 2010 12:40:28 AM

Can you borrow your friend's DVD drive and try to install with it? If you don't get any errors you'll know what's causing the problem.
!