3dsmax Render farm Linuxw/ xp pro

Tags:
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Render Farm
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 25, 2009 10:56:32 PM

here is a brain buster....

im tryign to create a render farm for 3ds max... the workstation i use runs winxp pro.... the 8 hp proliant dl580 server boxes i have are running fedora 12

how can i do this?

hp proliant dl580
(4) intel 2.2 ghz xeon mp processors
1 gb ram..
dual gigabit network card
(1) 36 gb sata 15k rpm hdd

More about : 3dsmax render farm linuxw pro

November 26, 2009 4:02:25 AM

Congratulations, you are the first person to post a good thread in the server section, I see you may have read the sticky

I am sorry i can't help you here, but I am sure someone else will come along with a solution
m
l
November 26, 2009 4:25:57 AM

Lol, you've made Upendra quite pleased.

Check out Samba for some Windows and Fedora integration.
http://www.samba.org/
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 26, 2009 1:26:17 PM

very pleased
m
l
November 28, 2009 2:22:51 AM

Mental Ray standalone will run on Linux, but I'm not sure how that works when you need to render a Max scene. The way most people usually set up a farm for Max, you'd need Backburner Server and the 3ds Max executable to run. They both reference Windows DLLs. Backburner Manager needs to be running someplace as well. I think your best bet would be to try it in a Wine environment. I've never heard of anyone doing that, and trying to render in an emulated environment sounds like asking for trouble, but it would be interesting to see if it works.
m
l
November 28, 2009 3:45:06 AM

Mental ray standalone will render a max scene if the scene is exported as a .mi or .mi2
m
l