Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Running XP in background of Win7 possible?

Last response: in Windows XP
February 10, 2012 2:33:04 PM

Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade to a Win7 laptop which is capable of running XP Pro in the background. My purpose is to avoid upgrading my court reporting software package which runs on XP. Thanks much.
a b D Laptop
February 10, 2012 3:58:07 PM

The only way to run it in the background/simultaneously is via a VM (virtual machine). You can use a free one like virtual box. You will need to install the VM in windows 7, then use the VM to install XP and your XP programs.
m
l
a b D Laptop
February 13, 2012 12:31:40 PM

Alternatively, Microsoft offers a package to allow you to install and run programs in XP mode - it's basically a built-in virtual machine specific to XP. Somewhat questionable as to drivers, but the software should work. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as...

Back up your system first, in case this breaks anything.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b D Laptop
February 13, 2012 12:47:05 PM

In reference to the XP mode discussed by WyomingKnott, you must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. Other VM's aren't as limited.
February 17, 2012 12:17:08 PM

Best answer selected by LyndaPWright.
m
l
February 17, 2012 12:19:11 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
In reference to the XP mode discussed by WyomingKnott, you must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. Other VM's aren't as limited.

Thanks for your help. I'll look into getting Win7 Pro. You were very helpful!
Lynda
m
l
February 17, 2012 12:23:41 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Alternatively, Microsoft offers a package to allow you to install and run programs in XP mode - it's basically a built-in virtual machine specific to XP. Somewhat questionable as to drivers, but the software should work. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as...

Back up your system first, in case this breaks anything.

Thanks much for your help....When you say questionable as to drivers,
do you mean that the software wouldn't run reliably all the time but
may crash every now and then? Thanks again, Lynda
m
l
!