Gtx 280 Killing my System? Or Killing itself?

LucasDusatko

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
First of all here is my specs to get a general idea:

Coolmax 750Watt PSU
Asus M3N78 Micro-atx
AMD 9950 @ 3ghz
8gb ocz 1066 @ 888mhz
and a EVGA GTX 280

For the last three weeks my system has been working wonderfully. But all of the sudden i am getting crashes no matter what i'm doing. I can be Playing a game at max settings or surfing the web it crashes all the same.

When it crashes, the video card gives the red light, from what i hear that means its a power problem. The only problem i have with that is the fact that it worked perfectly before so i don't think its the psu.

I am using a 6pin to 8pin converter, if that makes any difference.

I have tried, updateing mobo drivers. I reinstalled the nvidia drivers, i underclocked the card.

I'm pretty sure its not a heat problem unless the GPU Temperate gauge is incorrect. It gets up to about 72 on full load and it stays about 55 on stock fan speeds.

I don't know if i should RMA the card or if its the psu, or even my mobo....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Solution
That's an overrated Chokemax PSU that may be similar to this one that goes out of spec and blows chunks at load ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=68 ). The 950W model does no better. 10:1 that's your problem. The replacement should have full range Active PFC (no little voltage switch) and be 80+ certified to be assured of reasonable quality. Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands. A 550W model should be plenty, such as an Antec Truepower New or Corsair VX.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Blimey, need more info.:-

Are you gaming when the PC crashes, or are you just browsing the net etc?
Have you had a chance to check the system logs to see if there are any clues there?
is it possible to try you GPU in another PC?
Have you tried swapping your RAM around, maybe running on one or two sticks instead of 4 etc?

Let us have a as much info a possible. At the moment it could be anything.

As kkkk1 said, we need more info.

Is the computer just restarting randomly, shutting down, BSOD, picture just disappears, ect?

For me, i can see a few things wrong.

First thing i can think of is the PSU. How old is it? If it's an old one, it wont be making giving the same power out put as when you first bought it. Swap it out with another one and see what happens.

2nd is maybe the capacitors. If your motherboard has solid capacitors then make sure there not bent out of place. If there liquid filled capacitors then make sure non of them are bent, leaking, bulging, or blown. Check the video card caps as well.

3rd Maybe the video card is bad. swap it out with another card. See if the solves the problem.

Hope this helps.

That's an overrated Chokemax PSU that may be similar to this one that goes out of spec and blows chunks at load ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=68 ). The 950W model does no better. 10:1 that's your problem. The replacement should have full range Active PFC (no little voltage switch) and be 80+ certified to be assured of reasonable quality. Antec, PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax are among the better brands. A 550W model should be plenty, such as an Antec Truepower New or Corsair VX.

Solution

LucasDusatko

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

sorry, for the long wait i was at work.

The PSU is a month old, but it was my first guess as well i was on a budget at the time, big mistake. I don't have another one laying around to try or i would. Maybe i can get it refunded and get a good 550watt psu?

My board has solid capacitors, i don't know how this could have happened nothing has really moved, i can check though.

I don't have another card to try, right now im running the onboard 8300 and its working perfectly.

Im pretty sure its the psu, but i only have another few days on my newegg guarantee for the gtx and if it is the problem i wanna get it rma'd

i don't know how to check the system logs, can someone direct me to a tut or just explain. Im pretty new to this stuff

guess i can try the ram too, any suggestions on the order. i have four ocz 2gb 1066 sticks.

When it crashes the screen goes blank, the fans keep running, it doesn't shut down though. Also if there is sound playing, it starts skipping then it stops.

It doesn't matter what im doing, i leave it at idle and i come back and its crashed again.

Another problem is none of my friends have an acceptable rig to try the card in. :(

I Hope i answered your questions!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151027 <-----is that a good option, im on a budget!

Well for me i would personaly go for an antec psu. if you can strech the budget a little more (like $10-$15 more) you can get this psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

Same wattage as your old psu, 80 PLUS Certified, and able to do SLI if you want to.

i dont know if that is the problem but just looking at the post above the psu you have, they either had a psu from them/knew some with one and know it bad psu.

Never heard of seasonic before so i cant say if there good or not. I'll have to let someone else say if they are or not.

So im just showing you a good brand of psu and keeping the wattage the same.

LucasDusatko

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I messaged coolmax support and here is what they told me.

Please provide your invoice copy by reply and we will issue a RMA# with return label and upgrade to RM-1000B for your replacement, hope its help!

Well, it's not 80+, so it may not be very efficient, but at least it has Active PFC. Even if it is overrated, it will hopefully be enough for your system. I would never buy one, but it is likely better than what you had, as long as you don't load it too much.

TRENDING THREADS