Lower cpu temp means more stable oc?

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
hey guys. wierd question, but just trying to debate upgrading. basicly my question is... right now i have a lower end water cooling system. i have a phenom x4 980 on a asus formula v. its over clocked to 4.15ghz at 1.475 volts. even though cpuz says its 1.464.. any idea why? the cpu temp idles around 40c and core is around 45. under heavy load and gaming the core is around 55c and the cpu around 52c.. that is with my one small 120mm rad cranked on high. if i try to raise the cpu frequency to 4.2 its not stable...

so my question is... 4.2 ghz at 1.475 volts is not stable at 50 degrease... if i get a kick ass water setup will it become stable if i can get the temps down around 35c 40c?

or does getting a really good water cooling setup mean i can just run a higher voltage like 1.5 or 1.55 volts and still keep the cheap somewhat cool so i can achieve a higher oc? i wanna get this thing around 4.5 ghz. help!

Is it possible to add another radiator and fan to your current set up?
Or do you have a sealed unit?
You can mount two fans in a push/pull set up on the smaller radiator to help a few degrees.

We need more info .
What cheap water cooling set up?
Power supply ?
Budget?

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

oh yea sorry. asus formula v, amd 980, g skill 4x4 ram at like 2100mhz. i think its at 999 24 at 1700mhz around there. a couple hard drives, 2 6970s. a cooler master silent pro 850wat power supply and the water cooler is a thermaltake aquarious 3.

i could add another rad to the setup i guess.. but i would to aventually make it an incase system. right now its external.. also will the water pump be able to push an aditional 360 rad?

i just want to do some extreme overclocking..

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

awh yes. vdroop. should i disable this??? this is what load line calibration is for correct?

You can't disable or get rid of this type of vdroop, this is more to do with inefficiencies of the conducting material. LLC has more to do with voltage fluctuations caused by changing voltage during changing loads. When voltage is changed it fluctuates a bit until it stabilizes. LLC will reduce vdroop but at the cost of having those voltages overshoots over the voltage you have it set to.
a8db6fc4_vbattach82366.jpeg

*One reason why extreme overclocking uses a fixed voltage. http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/penryn-oc2/transient_vdroop.jpg

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Possibly, but that is one of the most notorious watercooling 'kits' around in terms of performance and reliability issues. I personally have 2 friends who used them in the past, and both pumps failed.

Radiators are typically not restrictive in terms of impacting loop flow. Just make sure you get appropriate fittings for your tubing sizes. Otherwise, I'd recommend to start shopping for some new watercooling gear.