Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to repair seagate momentus 5400.3 if the usb port is broken?

Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2011 11:02:25 PM

Can anyone help me the usb port in the inside of the drive broke???
a c 104 G Storage
June 28, 2011 11:37:54 PM

Hi there, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

If the actual connector on the drive itself if broken, it could be a problem.
Here is an image of the Sata data and power connectors, the part on the right is what is in the drive. The power connector has 15 pins but there are a set of 3 each. If you could relate what happened and if the drive will spin up or data actually be seen, that would be helpful. Also if there is a break or pin missing if you could relate which one or ones from the diagram, and we can better help with the problem

m
l
June 28, 2011 11:48:33 PM

Hi & Thanks!
I could email you a pic of it... What would I have to actually buy?? Would that cable hook into the USB port? :bounce: 
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
June 29, 2011 12:45:15 AM

godntheflesh said:
Hi & Thanks!
I could email you a pic of it... What would I have to actually buy?? Would that cable hook into the USB port? :bounce: 

Hi again,
Give us a better idea of what has happened to the connector. I may have misunderstood, since almost all, not all, newer drives are SATA drives. Is this a hard disk drive with a USB connector on the back, or possibly a DVD drive with a USB connector?

Give us as much detail as you can, and what you think is broken, and we'll come up with a solution
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
June 29, 2011 3:57:55 PM

Hi there,
Getting closer! This is an external Seagate GoFlex HDD. The small metal piece is blurry and I can't tell exactly what it is and what it does. Could you please take several more closeup photos of it to review. Might just be a magnetic off/on switch for the enclosure rather than a connnection to the drive.

There is a separate piece you have that connects to the back of the drive by USB cable to your computer. I am assumming that is OK.
The data and power connector on the HDD looks just fine.

In relation to the drive itself, an option is to just take the HDD out of the enclosure and use it in your computer, or put it in a separate enclosure.
m
l
June 29, 2011 5:54:29 PM
a c 104 G Storage
June 29, 2011 7:41:38 PM

Check on the back of the adapter plastic device that plugs into the HDD, and let us know what the model number of it is. It's be something like STAE 102. Also what kind of connector cable do you use over to your computer? Is it an IEEE 1394 Firewire, or an eSATA cable? With that info we can probably figure out a solution
m
l
June 29, 2011 8:10:30 PM

that is the USB port that broke off. just go to newegg and buy an external SATA dock or enclosure, any will do, just read the reviews
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
June 29, 2011 8:20:09 PM

r3xx3r said:
that is the USB port that broke off. just go to newegg and buy an external SATA dock or enclosure, any will do, just read the reviews

Actually there are a selection of goflex plug in connectors available by seagate for this enclosure once it's known what was being used.
m
l
June 30, 2011 1:26:04 AM

ST9160821AS SeaGate Momentus 5400.3 160GB
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
June 30, 2011 2:04:53 AM

godntheflesh said:
ST9160821AS SeaGate Momentus 5400.3 160GB

Does your Seagate GoFlex have an adapter that connects to the back of the enclosure similar to the one in this image? If so that Model # is the key item. And at the other end of the cable, what kind of plug is on it, going into your computer, a USB connector?

That should give us all the answers to choose a replacement
m
l
June 30, 2011 2:58:57 AM

Would a 2.5" USB 2.0 SATA Hard Drive HDD Case Enclosure or 2.5" USB 2.0 IDE Hard Drive Disk HDD Enclosure Case - JPQ-E25I WORK??

Because all i think i need is an enclosure
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
June 30, 2011 3:54:15 AM

Thanks, your unit connects with a mini USBs to USB A connector, rather than the standard Go-Flex adapters that clip onto the back.

Any good 2.5" Sata II USB enclosure would work fine. You would take your mini drive out of the present enclosure, then install it into an external Sata enclosure with the USB cord.

Here is another nice choice on Amazon $25
Vantec NexStar 3 NST-260SU-BK - Storage enclosure - 2.5" - SATA-150 - Hi-Speed USB / eSATA
July 2, 2011 9:11:59 PM

OK! thanks 4 all of ur help my friend.
m
l
July 10, 2011 3:07:33 PM

Best answer selected by godntheflesh.
m
l
!