Sign in with
Your question

Installing windows xp

Last response: in Windows XP
February 10, 2012 3:15:51 PM

how does one actually install windows xp to an external drive that is what i don't get. every time i use the windows installation disc it writes new files to the drive and then it says it need to reboot, after the reboot it looks as if the installation process will continue and then i get the stop error screen. It then says " a problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer" the error code is

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789E63C,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

could anyone help me out

More about : installing windows

February 10, 2012 3:48:45 PM

According to microsoft, this can't be done, though this article is from 2004 so things may have changed.

Current versions of Windows should not be installed to USB hard disk drives because Windows does not support USB hard disk drives as the primary boot device.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg4634...
m
l
February 10, 2012 6:51:56 PM

well i just created a back up of the OS and it boots from the original computer that it was cloned from but when ever i put it in the original laptop it came from it doesn't do anything and if i put it into a different computer it just gives that error screen
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2012 10:48:09 AM

slaya696 said:
well i just created a back up of the OS and it boots from the original computer that it was cloned from but when ever i put it in the original laptop it came from it doesn't do anything

Original computer? Original laptop? Which is it? A cloned drive will only work in the system it came from. It will not have the necessary drivers to work in a different system thus won't boot or it will error on boot, until all necessary drivers are in place.
m
l
February 24, 2012 3:04:21 PM

what i mean is that the hard drive is from a Compaq evo n180 so i booted from a Emachines t3508 with a cloning software and intended to create a new bootable partion because it would always try and boot then it would shut off and turn on because the motherboard is damaged so the power is uneven in the laptop
m
l
March 6, 2012 2:57:38 PM

is there a way to image a os on to my laptops hard drive then
m
l
March 6, 2012 3:34:14 PM

As long as the laptop drive is the same size or larger than the drive you cloned the OS from, then yes. Of course you will run into the same driver issue if the OS came from a different computer.
m
l
March 7, 2012 3:01:36 PM

then do i just find the drivers and add them to the clone and try it again
m
l
March 7, 2012 3:34:59 PM

slaya696 said:
what i mean is that the hard drive is from a Compaq evo n180 so i booted from a Emachines t3508 with a cloning software and intended to create a new bootable partion because it would always try and boot then it would shut off and turn on because the motherboard is damaged so the power is uneven in the laptop

This still doesn't make sense to me. Here are some general rules.

1. When moving a drive (or cloning) to another system or when replacing a motherboard, a clean install is ALWAYS best.

2. If you ignore rule 1, Your computer will most likely crash or not boot due to the incorrect drivers being installed. In this case, you might get lucky with a repair install or possibly booting into safe mode. Once in safe mode, you will need to update all drivers to the correct ones. Regardless of a repair install or safe mode, drivers will need updated.

As to your last question, it won't work. A clone is an exact copy of your current system. If you try to install drivers for a different system into your current system you will corrupt it.
m
l
March 12, 2012 3:03:30 PM

can please list steps to do install to the drive then
m
l
March 12, 2012 4:21:06 PM

As mentioned earlier, I don't think you can install to external drives. it has to be an internal.

1. set the bios boot order to cd/dvd first, hard drive second.
2. Insert xp cd and bott off the cd. Install will start automatically
3. After XP install, install all chipset drivers and video drivers.
4. Install all windows updates
5. install your programs.
6. done.
m
l
March 13, 2012 2:53:20 PM

is there a way to get the computer to boot off it correctly like some adapter for the smaller drive to the computer
m
l
March 13, 2012 3:07:54 PM

What smaller drive? If they are external, no, it won't work. This is about as far as I can help you. I've listed the instructions necessary to install XP. It's obvious that something is either preventing you from completing these steps or you just don't want to follow them. Either way the result is the same - you are unable to install XP.

Hopefully someone else can jump in and help you. I know I've seen ways of installing from an external drive or a usb drive, but as far as I know, these are third party workarounds that aren't supported by microsoft. You may want to try using google to find these methods of installing.
m
l
March 15, 2012 2:56:15 PM

ok well i want to know then if there is a way to slip stream the drivers into the installation disk because i still am having problems or do you know where i can get a cheap replacement mother board so i can just install it from the laptop I've managed to get the power supply to last longer but still shuts off
m
l
March 15, 2012 3:01:26 PM

also i just found a way to possibly install it but like you said need to follow rule #1 i'll tell you if it works
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:54:54 PM

It's possible to slipstream drivers into a windows install. Using a slipstream utility like NLite works well. There are plenty of instructions on nlite's site as well as on the internet on how to slipstream.

http://www.nliteos.com/
m
l
March 23, 2012 8:27:00 PM

if you were to recommend any motherboard refurbish company what is so i can just end up getting the motherboard fixed and just do it from the actual laptop because i can't even boot with the state the motherboard is in and if so can you mention how much it is.
m
l
March 24, 2012 2:34:54 PM

I don't know. I've never purchased a refurbished board and I've never owned a laptop.
m
l
April 10, 2012 10:07:48 PM

sorry to ask im just desperate to get my only laptop fixed it was a gift from a family member that i no longer get to see or talk to thanks any way
m
l
!