andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I just RMA'd my corsair h60 and i liked it. It kept my 955 at 3.8 quite low temps. I was interested at the RS240 kit thats like between $120-140 US. ISn't too expensive. Does anyone have any experience with this set up? Or should i just look at a completely custom loop?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
A lot of people run this loop...they also make RS360, RX240 and RX360 Rasa kits. The name RS240 is what size radiator is included in the kit. RX360>RS360>RX240>RS240. However, there is somewhat nominal difference of the RS360 and the RX240 due to the RX series rads being a lot thicker than the RS series as well as what fans are being used.

So, in short- Rasa kits outperform LCS coolers like the H60 by a decent margin. For the price, it's hard to build a custom loop, but can be done. Rasa RS240 is a great CPU only loop for a starter kit. If you are ever wanting to watercool your GPU, I'd recommend stepping up to a RS/RX360 kit and just adding the GPU into the mix when you are ready.

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

The reason i mentioned the rs240 is because i have my entire build inside the corsair 650D. Ide LOVE to run the RX 240 because there reviews r amazing on it. The issue is that it wont fit anywhere in my case. There are a few people who made it fit but had diff mobo size and some had to mod. Im only interested at just cpu cooling. My gigabyte 6870 windforce 3x has good cooling. I run the fans around 20-30% during game play like crysis 2 and bf3 and it says cool enough. I have 2 gentle typhoon 1850's that i used as push pull on the h60. they were much better then the stock fans that came with the h60, they ran faster and quieter with better cfm.

If i got 2 more gentle ty's would push pull set up on the rs240 equal a rx240 in just push(or pull)?

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

thats wat i mean. The rx only pushing or pullling versus the rs240 doing both push/pull.

RX : genttle ty's push>rx240(or GTy's pull>rx rad)

RS: Gentle ty's push> rs 240> gentle ty pull

in that config would the rs perform well?

The RS240 is a low airflow designed radiator even changing the existing 120mm fans to higher cfm fans makes no real cooling improvement, so I don't see adding fans to make it push/pull will make any difference either.

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

ok this is what im asking

a push pull set up with a rs240

or push set up on the RX240.

which would perform better?
thats the question

I know it's not going to fit your case but a pull setup with a shroud on an RX240 will give your best cooling, when you use fans to push the fan body partially blocks the airflow.

Pulling the air through the radiator with a shroud leaves the entire radiators airflow path unobstructed, no fan motor hubs are blocking the airflow path, some 120mm fan hubs are 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" in diameter.

Even a Scythe Slip Stream 120mm has an 1 1/4" hub.

Comparatively the RX240 is like having 2 RS240s together, there's more cooling surface to transfer the heat to the air.

Are you totally locked in on building inside your computer case?

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

I really wanna keep everything inside. I Dont like having outside extra components. Only thing i would ever consider doing is mounting some fans on the top with some fan grills. would that work?

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Another reason pull is better than push that I never see mentioned, My 360mm fan generates a lot of heat, if you push, you push that heat into the rad.

Good additional point, even if a fan doesn't generate a lot of heat like some low cfm fans, it's still heat as a push going into the radiator.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It's similar to pump heat dump: a pump generates heat in the loop as well, but usually minimal when it comes to total watts in the loop. Most pumps produce between 15-25 watts of heat in a loop, but this is considered almost negligible in most instances.

Who was that that said,? "Your first steps into water cooling are also your first steps into case modding!".

I forgot who said that, but it is so true.

If you have any modding skills, you can always mount the radiator on top of the computer.

Just something to think about.

However you did mention you are cooling an AMD 955, from my own experience you can fully handle an AMD overclock with a Noctua NH-D14 air cooler, I have a test machine running the Noctua NH-D14 on an AMD 965BE overclocked to 3900mhz, passively with no cooling fans on the air cooler at all.

Just case airflow is all the air the Noctua is getting and it is capable of holding the temps down to be able to run Prime95 small ffts for hours in passive mode at 3900mhz, when you add the fans to the Noctua it's a true cooling beast.

My testing was to see if I used different fans than what comes with the Noctua could I attain better cooling performance, and the answer to that is Yes!

Now if we were talking cooling an Intel Sandy Bridge K-series CPU platform, that would be a different story, but we're not according to your OP, so you can get as good or better performance than you were getting with your Corsair H60, with a Noctua NH-D14, cheaper.

Just thought I'd throw that into the consideration pile.

Willasap43

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
If you can afford it go with ek h30 kits there much better, they have yate loom fans, compression fittings, better pump and reservoir

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Thanks alot man! im thinking of just keeping this h60 because its keeping my 955 at 3.8 idleing around 29-32c and full loading around 45c.